SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ive been busy with alot of other stuff and haven't messed with my boat much over the last 2 months. The bulkhead issue was pretty much at the same spot that it was 2 months ago. Ive been anchored out in this nice little creek where i figured the boat was nice and safe. I check on it daily and have been out there once a week, but last night was not a good night for me, or my boat. We had a nasty little squall blow in last night, and im guessing it put my boat up close to the marsh, tide went out and she laid over. If it would have laid to the marsh, it would have been fine, but it went out to the creek.

2 Months ago when i put it there.

As she sits now.

Ive got a salvage plan already. I've got to pick up a 15,000gph gas powered pump in the morning. Im going to use the pump to wash the mud out from under the keel and try to get it up to a point where i can pump the water out and float it again. Then she comes to my house for a major refit.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea i can see it from the bridge in the background of the last pic. I drove across this morning about 8:30 to take my granddad to the doctor and saw it. It's rough seeing it like that since we lived aboard it for 2 years. Ive been gathering parts and supplies for the refit, and now im damn glad i didn't have it all stored on the boat.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
Tough break, best of luck. Makes my shorepower cord getting fried today seem like a nonevent.

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
You sir... need a drink.

Hop on over to the pub.... (see signature)

All the very best.. You'll get her back in shape in no time....!!!
(Go Tigers...Clemson that is..) :)

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
Very disheartening. Sorry to hear about this. The Pearson's are nice boats.

This may not be the best time to ask but she was attached to a real mooring (mushroom anchor or equivalent) right?

It is a very nice boat so I hope the salvage goes smoothly.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
That really sucks!

From July 2008

Ok ive got 2 anchors out on my boat. Both are on 200' of line and 30' of 3/8''s chain with 30# bruces on each one. Ive got a max depth of about 35'. Both of my anchors are out, one up river and one down river. Both only have about 15-20' of line left on the boat. They hold great, untill the wind blows across the river, then im screwed.

My boat is a Pearson 36 weighing in at 13tons. All extra windage has been removed save for the boom and bimini. Any ideas to get it to stay put without an extra anchor, other than getting around to putting my mooring down.
Did you ever get around to putting down a real mooring? You have posts that go back to 2007 asking about adding a "real" mooring and have had quite a slew of anchors. Was your boat on anchor at the time or a mooring?

She's survived once she'll do it again!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maine, you posted while i was typing. No i never got a real mooring down, and over the past few months ive had some real ****ty luck with things. She was down to having a single anchor large enough to hold her. Its been doing good in the creek there, but that little storm was un-expected for me last night. If i would have been keeping up with the weather, i would have been out there yesterday to see just how it was laying in the creek. This is my fault and i know it.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
She was at anchor. This was a hold over area until we were able to haul it out.
What was the anchor? What size? What was the scope? Chain or chain to rope? What was the bottom?

This might be good info and data for folks with a boat your size who don't want to end up in the same situation. If we can't learn from mistakes we are bound to repeat them..

Were you on your Danforth, Bruce or Oceane??

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
We're here for ya.

All the very best on the recovery.

If you need someone to wade through the muck with you..or help on the clean out / repair .... gimme a shout.... I get down to SC pretty regular...

beer.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was on the 40# Oceane anchor, 30' of 3/8'' chain and about 40' of rope. The bottom is mud/sand mixture with some weeds. Its a shallow creek, only about 10' deep at low tide. I kept it on a bit of a short scope since the creek wasn't really wide. Its wide enough to keep the boat in, but too much scope would have put me in the same spot.

Craig, im going to be out there tomorrow afternoon. Im hoping to have her afloat by the end of the weekend. Already got crew for the weekend, thanks for the offer though.

Heres another picture. I opened the door just to peak inside and see what all was afloat. You can see that the settee and bulkhead are still out.

1 - 20 of 445 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.