SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, thanks to everyone for bearing with me on our boat search over the last 7 months. The advice and support from fellow Sailnet members has been fantastic.

Second, we're buying a boat! For those of you who saw my ill-fated thread from last week that got hijacked by a troll (thread was removed by the mods, thankfully), you know that we held the survey last Tuesday, and it went very well. The survey report came in on Friday, we made some adjustments to our offer, and today, it was ACCEPTED (in writing)! :D

So, we're buyin' a boat (did I say that already?)! OK, finally, the DETAILS:

Year: 1984
Builder: Sabre Yachts
Model: 34 Mk I, Keel/CB (Note: this was our favorite of the models on our "list")
History: Current owner has owned the boat for 13 years, and provided all maintenance records for that time. Boat as well as records indicate regular preventive maintenance, as well as repairs as necessary, not to mention hull waxing, etc.
A few highlights: Epoxy barrier coat 5 years ago, new fuel tank 4 years ago, 2 garmin chartplotters, radar, and loran, reupholstered interior (well done, in colors we like), and on...

We looked at 5 Sabre 34 Mk Is, plus many others (Tartan 33s, Pearson 33-2s, Sabre 30 Mk IIIs and Mk IIs, and a Sabre 32. This was by far the nicest boat in terms of condition and maintenance history.

Now all we need to do is close on the boat, get her ready for launch in the Spring, and sail her home to Maryland--no big deal, right? :rolleyes: Hopefully, we won't have any problems with the closing. We should have all ducks in a row, but we don't want to jinx it by getting too sure of ourselves before the signatures are in place. So for now, we have fingers crossed, and we're doing the "I want a boat" dance. :)

I'll follow up this post with some pics--finally! :D Thanks again to everyone here in the Buying a Boat forum!
-J

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've posted some pics below, but they're all from the seller. Currently the boat's on the hard, winterized, covered, blocked in by many other boats crammed up next to her, and the mast is unstepped. In short, my pics don't look like much. I have about 200 pics of individual hoses, winches, chainplates, engine parts, etc., but no good "boat pics", if you know what I mean. Anyway, here you go!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Beautiful...

I like. I too looked at Sabre 34 Mk I's when I was shopping, but couldn't find a nice one in my area that I wanted to pay for. Also, for my size (6'6") I found the area near the head/v-berth tight and I really had to duck.

DrB

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple more pics from survey--had the engine running on the hard here. This is about the best I have myself...I'll try to get more though.

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He Shoots, He Scores, Really Scores. Very nice looking boat. Congratulations!!

michael
Thanks Michael! :)

I like. I too looked at Sabre 34 Mk I's when I was shopping, but couldn't find a nice one in my area that I wanted to pay for. Also, for my size (6'6") I found the area near the head/v-berth tight and I really had to duck.

DrB
Yeah, I'm under 6 ft (and I'm tallest), so it's a good fit for us. I really didn't think we'd find a good Sabre 34--we saw several that were "okay", and one that was horrible with a high asking price--terrible combo.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Anyone can post pictures on the internet. Why should we believe you are buying a boat. You are probably a 13 year old with Acne.
:D :D :D :D

Hey man...she looks just lovely and well taken care of. Ideal for your needs. Good things happen to those who have patience!! All best with her.

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Good looking piece of gear. You will have many days weeks and years of enjoyment on her. BTW, I never doubted you were really going to buy something!!;)
Good Sailing!!!
DD

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone can post pictures on the internet. Why should we believe you are buying a boat. You are probably a 13 year old with Acne.
:D :D :D :D

Hey man...she looks just lovely and well taken care of. Ideal for your needs. Good things happen to those who have patience!! All best with her.

:laugher :laugher :laugher I was waiting for someone to bring that up! Seriously, thanks cam for all your help along the way. Now if we can just get the paperwork all done without mishaps, we'll be very happy.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Congrats Jos,

Looks like you have a fine purchase. Sabres are great quality have a good turn of speed and good joinery. Craig2 who is close to us has a reallly nice 34also. Where are you keeping her on the Chesapeake?

Good luck with your close.

Dave

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats Jos,

Looks like you have a fine purchase. Sabres are great quality have a good turn of speed and good joinery. Craig2 who is close to us has a reallly nice 34also. Where are you keeping her on the Chesapeake?

Good luck with your close.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I've exchanged PMs with Craigtoo. We would have loved a Sabre 34 Mk II like his, but it was simply out of our price range.

We haven't settled on which marina yet, but we plan to keep the boat on the South River or Rhode/West River.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Congrats!!

I noticed a cover that goes below the boot stripe. You should consider putting some small blocks of styrofoam along the bottom edge to allow some air under there, especially over the painted surfaces. You could get some bubbling of paint from trapped moisture and heating/cooling cycles.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Congratulations!

You've shown us pictures (a couple even taken by you) and the boat shows up as sale pending on Yachtworld, so I guess it's true! She looks beautiful.

I bet you're looking forward to that first big cruise home to MD.

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats!!

I noticed a cover that goes below the boot stripe. You should consider putting some small blocks of styrofoam along the bottom edge to allow some air under there, especially over the painted surfaces. You could get some bubbling of paint from trapped moisture and heating/cooling cycles.
Yeah, there are a few things of that nature that we're going to do once we close. The only good news is that the owner's been using the cover for years with no problems. It's a very nice custom canvas cover, with lots of vents, etc. (but not at the waterline), so I'm with you on making sure.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Beauty. Congratulations on a successful conclusion to your long quest. Sabre makes a great boat.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,422 Posts
Way to go Jos! Winter just became a lot more bearable, eh? Or will it be worse, with your boat out there calling to you?

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Way to go Jos! Winter just became a lot more bearable, eh? Or will it be worse, with your boat out there calling to you?
Well, it's not too bad. We have some things we need to do to get the boat ready anyway (nothing major). If it were summer now, we'd either have to put them off or miss sailing time. At least this way we should be ready to go when Spring comes!

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
Congratulations! I have followed the ups and downs of your search and am really pleased that you managed to find the boat of your dreams. The photos look great. Where are you going to be keeping her? My Morgan is based in Flag Harbour on the Western Shore about 20 miles north of the Solomons. Any chance that I might spot you out on the Bay??

Stuart

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Nice boat! She's a beauty. I give you joy!

If you need more info about marinas in the West/Rhode River areas, let me know.

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congratulations! I have followed the ups and downs of your search and am really pleased that you managed to find the boat of your dreams. The photos look great. Where are you going to be keeping her? My Morgan is based in Flag Harbour on the Western Shore about 20 miles north of the Solomons. Any chance that I might spot you out on the Bay??

Stuart
Thanks Stuart. We'll be south of Annapolis, but north of you on the South or West River--really not very far away, and Solomons is one of our faves. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if our paths cross!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts