SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
19,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some amazing recent shots taken off Tofino, BC - Anyone contemplating a November voyage in these waters should take heed. (Photos by Dave Ashurst)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like fun. If I were sailing, I would be staying well outside of sight of land so as to not see what surfing was like with a sailboat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great pictures! That looks like one of their surfboats or MLBs (marine life boats I think). It must be a thrill to drive one of those from the flybridge in those conditions. I found some impressive videos of them in action on a Coast Guard page. I'd post the link but I'm too newb. Good times.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Faster,

WOW! No thanks, eh?

The photos show what looks to be a "home-made" Canadian CG MLB. They were built in Canada by Metalcraft under license from the USCG, replicating the 47' MLBs built by Textron that we use down here in the States.

Has anybody tried this with their sailboat?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Reminds me of the Columbia River Bar... :)

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Yes, that is how the oil is changed, from used dirty oil, to clean oil!!

It is amazing what those craft can do, where they go etc, just to rescue folks that get into trouble!

Marty

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Yep! That is the North side of the Columbia River entrance.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
Isn't that roll test similar to what the VOR boat have to pass? Why all the cheering?

·
19,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep! That is the North side of the Columbia River entrance.
Actually, it's a Canadian Coast Guard vessel off the entrance of Tofino, BC.:)

·
19,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that how they change the oil?
Either that or... see those two guys on the bridge on deck? they didn't know it yet but they "washed out" of the program ;)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Great pictures! That is truly remarkable you should enter those in a contest or submit them. Theres this book called The Sea thats a collection of maritime photographs, most of which are powerful scenes of the Sea's might. Such as lighthouses off the coast of France and Spain getting completely battered, etc. Great work!

-Spencer

·
19,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great pictures! That is truly remarkable you should enter those in a contest or submit them. ..... Great work!

-Spencer
Thanks, but as noted in the OP they are not my pictures... but they are good ones!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks as though there is a serious onshore breeze!

·
19,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Faster,

Is that an ocean swell breaking, or 60 kts of wind against an 8 knot current?
Not sure, billy, the only info I got is that these were taken outside Tofino Harbour last month.. There certainly could be currents there but not as high as that...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts