SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have no affiliation with West Marine other than being a satisfied customer.

They are having a BIG sale on line - 40% they say. This includes lines like Stayset, MLX, Endura Braid, etc.

Some examples:
MLX Double Braid, 7/16" Diameter, 9,500 lb. Breaking Strength, Blue: Reg. $3.90, Save $1.56, now $2.34

10mm Dia. Endura Braid, 11,000 lb. Breaking Strength, Euro Blue: Reg. $3.38,
Save $1.36, now $2.02

7/16" XLS Extra-T Double Braid, 6100lb. Breaking Strength, White: Reg. $2.87
Save $1.15, now $1.72

7/16" Color-Coded Sta-Set, 7100lb. Breaking Strength, Blue: Reg. $1.78 Save $0.70, now $1.08

Barry

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you can get bulk line online anywhere but west marine for less then their "sale" 365 days a year.
Where? I usually buy from Defender, who I think has the best prices and shipping. I also buy from Annapolis Performance Sailing (apsltd.com) who also has great prices on rigging. APS is even having a sail on rigging right now. The West Marine prices are MUCH better. I think the sale is for today only.

Barry

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have no affiliation with West Marine other than being a satisfied customer.

They are having a BIG sale on line - 40% they say. This includes lines like Stayset, MLX, Endura Braid, etc.

Some examples:
MLX Double Braid, 7/16" Diameter, 9,500 lb. Breaking Strength, Blue: Reg. $3.90, Save $1.56, now $2.34

10mm Dia. Endura Braid, 11,000 lb. Breaking Strength, Euro Blue: Reg. $3.38,
Save $1.36, now $2.02

7/16" XLS Extra-T Double Braid, 6100lb. Breaking Strength, White: Reg. $2.87
Save $1.15, now $1.72

7/16" Color-Coded Sta-Set, 7100lb. Breaking Strength, Blue: Reg. $1.78 Save $0.70, now $1.08

Barry
Thanks, Barry. I bought 150 feet of 5/8" NER Mega Plait anchor rode for $1.15/ft. That's 20% cheaper than anywhere else I've found.

·
al brazzi
2,088 Posts
WM does a different sale every Friday, and I would guess everything can be bought cheaper elsewhere. Its a convince mostly and even shopping something like Cetol finishes although I could do better I would still have to pay freight so it was close. Not defending WM if its cheaper elsewhere do it, and they seem to be closing a lot of stores, everything is click away.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
WM killed the little shops, the internet killed WM. Just deserts? Back to the little shops, and I like that. Give it 10 years for them to return.Where else you going to buy big fenders without paying a shot for shipping? Haz-Mat? ect.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
WM killed the little shops, the internet killed WM. Just deserts? Back to the little shops, and I like that.......
Despite their warts, there is way more available at the WM in Newport (Middletown actually) then there ever was or is at a local mom and pop. I hope they do just fine. I like the mom and pop, for sure, as they are typically very knowledgeable, but I really like to browse the WM store too. However, the internet is going to keep the lid on a real resurgence of the mom and pop too. There will be exception in unique, most likely more affluent, markets.

WM model can be annoying. They clearly mark everything up to see who is willing to pay it and many are for the convenience. However, between their sales, price matching and advantage clubs, their net pricing is just not that far off. It's annoying because you have to work it. I will typically price compare WM, Defender and Jamestown Distributors and WM wins their fair share, usually as the result of free shipping.

They were doing extremely well through the end of 2013, all the while having many that swore they would never shop there. Someone is. 2014 was a stumble, but they are far from out. In fact, their stock has rebounded nicely in the last six months. I think they have to get their retail store structure worked out. I would not be surprised to see fewer but larger stores in the future. They also have a robust internet sales capacity and, of course, their Port Supply business is their real golden egg. Selling to the trades is huge for them and we retail customers don't see much of that.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,284 Posts
I'm really not trying to bust WM, because I use them from time to time... but I was looking at the "40%" off line sale.. and it worked out to be about 10-15% off what I pay elsewhere... STILL a good price, but is it truly marked up that much normally? or is this like the "we'll give you $10,000 for your trade" commercials, where they hike up the cost of the car you are buying $8000. Kind of like the big box stores having a sale every week.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
I dont know. Call New england ropes, tell them you want to buy 800 miles of line in various sizes, see what they quote you for a price :p
I am guessing that WM has negotiated lower prices on some items they buy in bulk. Far lower then anyone else ever has paid. They most likely bought a 10 year supply of line, and warehoused it, or agreed to buy X amount of line and just take it whenever they make it.

On the other hand they may buy some items they dont sell much of at the same price home depot pays (say o-rings) and they mark them up 800-1400%.

I highly doubt even at 40% off the line is a loss-leader for them. I have not yet seen a loss leader in West marine. I think they make the least amount of money (in percent)on GPS stuff.

·
al brazzi
2,088 Posts
Despite their warts, there is way more available at the WM in Newport (Middletown actually) then there ever was or is at a local mom and pop. I hope they do just fine. I like the mom and pop, for sure, as they are typically very knowledgeable, but I really like to browse the WM store too. However, the internet is going to keep the lid on a real resurgence of the mom and pop too. There will be exception in unique, most likely more affluent, markets.

WM model can be annoying. They clearly mark everything up to see who is willing to pay it and many are for the convenience. However, between their sales, price matching and advantage clubs, their net pricing is just not that far off. It's annoying because you have to work it. I will typically price compare WM, Defender and Jamestown Distributors and WM wins their fair share, usually as the result of free shipping.

They were doing extremely well through the end of 2013, all the while having many that swore they would never shop there. Someone is. 2014 was a stumble, but they are far from out. In fact, their stock has rebounded nicely in the last six months. I think they have to get their retail store structure worked out. I would not be surprised to see fewer but larger stores in the future. They also have a robust internet sales capacity and, of course, their Port Supply business is their real golden egg. Selling to the trades is huge for them and we retail customers don't see much of that.
They are doing that here closing and consolidating and opening "Flagship" stores, I think that's what they call them. One small used parts store is actually taking credit for closing one around the corner. I am almost 40 years at my profession and I cant count how many times I have changed my focus to adapt to current markets, a little reinvention never hurt anyone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.