SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into the closest West Marine yesterday to pick up some stainless screws to repair my new-to-me outboard. I was happy to see that EVERYBODY was wearing a mask, and that they were wearing them properly (unlike Home Depot). However I was very surprised at the low inventory that they had in every department in the store! The four display tables for clothing held only 1 or 2 shirts, electrical connectors were cleaned out, no coolers, and very little fishing tackle. The entire store looked like a TP aisle in April 2020!

I asked an associate what was going on. I suspected that they were preparing to close the store. He told me that the warehouse is short of staff, and deliveries had been affected. "We're not closing, we just can't get stock," he lamented. I asked the cashier as well, and she said that it has been like this for weeks. She said that as soon as a delivery comes in, people come in the store and buy everything they can. "It's crazy!" she added.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Noticed the same at the big box home "improvement" stores. Wally World seems to fair better.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
It's not just WM. Around here it is the same in HD, Lowes, the grocery stores, and pretty much every retail outlet.

I've noticed much longer shipping times by Amazon and other on-line places, as well as longer delivery times by the delivery services.

We are still waiting on hatches we ordered from Bomar in January because they are all working from home with only a skeleton crew in manufacturing. A Sport-a-Seat order took 10 weeks to fill. Many other similar delay examples.

Mark

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,494 Posts
I believe this is the trickle down problem. All factories were shut down for x months, and are now having to work with new restrictions if they are open. The same goes for warehouses operating under more difficult working environment. The pandemic has created an impediment to efficiency in the entire economy.

Added to this there has been a run on other items besides toilet paper. All RV lots are now sold out and related accessories are out of stock. I have been looking to buy an awning for my truck and all the good ones are backordered.

I have been ordering fabrics for boat projects and the average turn around times are over a week to get into the mail.

·
Registered
55 Posts
At the risk of sounding snarky, what do you expect? Everybody wants to stay at home, be safe, social distance, etc. When a society does that, it’s obviously going to affect the supply chain. We built a fragile supply chain, very tightly integrated because it’s "more efficient." So now, you have a shortage of beer because they can’t get carbon dioxide, because people are driving less, therefore using less gasoline and the CO2 supply is a byproduct of oil refining.

This is not intended as a discussion either way on the necessity or the efficacy of whatever lockdown you might be living under. But the obvious effects should be obvious. If you want the supply chain to "get back to normal," quit talking about safety, accept that some people are going to get sick or die, and put everybody back to work. Otherwise, accept the fact that inventories and supplies are going to be restricted for the foreseeable future and learn how to live with it.

end of rant.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
WM in Morehead City, NC seems to be fairly well stocked.
But yeah, lockdowns have consequences beyond the target.

·
Super Moderator
4,241 Posts
It seems to be all outdoor recreational activities. Stores here have been sold out of canoes, kayaks, RV stuff.

I tried ordering replacement steering pedals for my kayak from the manufacturer and I was told 8 weeks.
Tried to get some warranty work done on my tent and was told warranty department was closed for foreseeable future but my warranty would be honoured when it was possible.

Seems to be a good time to brush up on DIY skills.

·
12,165 Posts
I believe this is the trickle down problem. All factories were shut down for x months, and are now having to work with new restrictions if they are open. The same goes for warehouses operating under more difficult working environment. The pandemic has created an impediment to efficiency in the entire economy.

Added to this there has been a run on other items besides toilet paper. All RV lots are now sold out and related accessories are out of stock. I have been looking to buy an awning for my truck and all the good ones are backordered.

I have been ordering fabrics for boat projects and the average turn around times are over a week to get into the mail.
Make you awning. Simple project as it’s probably a rectangle. If you get a good ma nine like a Sailrite it will pay for itself quickly

·
Registered
55 Posts
Funny you should mention awnings. My next project is figuring out how to get a 15’ square awning through the sewing machine. Multiple times. But since everybody else is locked up at home, I’m going to have to try.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,494 Posts
One other thing to consider is the warehouses are a miserable place to work in the best of times. The stories I have read about it remind me of the book "The Jungle", where the drive to efficiency comes on the backs of its workers health. No wonder Jeff Bezos has made a tidy profit for himself.

Given the option to stay at home and collect unemployment plus a $600/wk bonus or work in a miserable place and maybe die or bring home a virus to kill grandma, I too would take a paid vacation.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,494 Posts
Make you awning. Simple project as it’s probably a rectangle. If you get a good ma nine like a Sailrite it will pay for itself quickly
I have done some sewing myself, my first career was in retail working for the likes of the North Face and Patagonia through college. I got to see the repairs department and learn from them. I am ready to take on some sewing projects but my wife has taken over the sewing room. I plan on making a simple sail bag to hold my sails and spars for my smaller boats to get back into it.

I also kind of made a tarp for my truck. It was a miserable failure, ending up damaging my truck. I could do a better job now that i understand what I did wrong, but doubt I could replicate this.

·
bell ringer
4,805 Posts
I have been to both of the West Marines here in Jacksonville the past couple of weeks. Both are picked over like a woman's store having a 50% sale. It is so bad for common things (hose) that I now just don't go and just order online and wait the 3 days to get stuff from Defender.

·
12,165 Posts
One other thing to consider is the warehouses are a miserable place to work in the best of times. The stories I have read about it remind me of the book "The Jungle", where the drive to efficiency comes on the backs of its workers health. No wonder Jeff Bezos has made a tidy profit for himself.

Given the option to stay at home and collect unemployment plus a $600/wk bonus or work in a miserable place and maybe die or bring home a virus to kill grandma, I too would take a paid vacation.

Thread drift alert
You drank the koolaide
It’s. Not a paid vacation
It doesn’t help pay for your lost health benefits
Most would rather be working , ive lad off 1300 employees since April 1, they will all be on the street without the extra govt money.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If the employees are staying home because they get more on unemployment, the unemployment isn't the problem...
The problem is they are working for starvation wages.... We have been looking for the cheapest for so long, I think we forgot that people who do the work for us need to live too....

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,239 Posts
Saw the same at their flagship store in Annapolis... I too thought they were reducing inventory on purpose... Um

1 - 15 of 15 Posts