SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I bought one of those WM inflatables on the last ditch clearance sale. I even got a bigger discount because I bought the display model.

The problem I have is the panier that came with the boat. It is supposedly polypropylene rope. I never used the original panier as it looked well, inferior to me. I used another length of rope I had lying about.

The other day, I decided to get the boat out and air it up to make sure it is good to go. While I was at it, I unrolled the original polypro rope. I found that there were weak spots in that never used rope. I could just pull it apart with my hands.

Is it possible that being in the bag with the inflatable damaged the rope?

The dinghy is PVC and the rope is polypropylene. Could the plasticizers in the PVC boat have weakened the polypro rope?

The rope was clean, as I said it had never been used and was still hanked. It just had several spots that were so weak I could pull it to pieces with little effort. The rest of the line other than the weak places seemed fine.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it common?

O'

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I think you meant painter.

"pan•nier or pan•ier (ˈpæn yər, -i ər)

n.
1. a basket, esp. a large one, for carrying goods, provisions, etc.
2. one of a pair of baskets to be slung across the back of a pack animal.
3. Also called pan′nier drape`. (on a dress, skirt, etc.) a puffed arrangement of drapery at the hips.
4. Often, panniers. an oval framework or a pair of hoops formerly used for distending the skirt of a dress at the hips."

pain·ter 2 (pān′tər)
n.
A rope attached to the bow of a boat, used for tying up, as when docking or towing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No, the rope, motor mount, pump, paddles and docs were all in the box in back. The display was inside the store, when I saw and bought the boat. The usual sun damaged polypro gets stiff and begins to fray. The damage on this just made it weak. It looked perfectly normal, just had no strength, it didn't even feel different until it broke. I wish I had kept the rope. I just pitched it in the trash and it is gone now.

ARRRG! You got me Mark! I let the dumputer spell it for me after I hacked at it and it fixed it wrong. I have to watch that. Every time I don't, it gets me again.

Thanks!
O'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.