SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, I ordered a connecting link for my anchor chain, one that was not available in the store, but online. The link cost $6.99 and weighs just 1.3 ounces, about the same as a letter with three pages enclosed. The shipping cost was $9.99, which is insane for an item made in China that probably cost them about .50 cents including freight from China. So this inexpensive item, that WM was likely already making a killing on when it came to markup, now cost the consumer $17 plus Maryland state sales tax of $1.02. The package was shipped UPS Surepost, which according to their rate schedule, the shipping should have been less than $5. USPS rates were half that.

This is just one more reason why I will never shop WM unless it's an item I cannot find from any other source. WM just lost another customer.

Gary :cool:

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Almost anything I need that's the specialty I can usually find on Amazon and as a senior on Amazon I get free shipping on most items!

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had I been able to find this on Amazon, I would have ordered it, for sure. And, as an Amazon Prime member I get free shipping.

·
Master Mariner
8,535 Posts
Defender has those links even cheaper. I don't know about shipping.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Doesn't do any good to vent to us, vent to WM. You might get a coupon.

Reactions: davidpm

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Mailng objects that don't fit in a standard business letter envelope isn't cheap. Everyone I order from give me the shipping coast and, if it was more than I wanted to spend, will usually cancel out. You accepted the cost, why are you pissed at West Marine for something you authorized?

Why didn't you have the link delivered to your local West Marine. I order stuff all the time from the local satellite West Marine for delivery to the store when I'm on the mainland. Parts typically come in in a couple of days with no shipping costs. Living at the end of the world have been at the mercy of companies shipping policies. Some refuse to use mail which is the cheapest way to ship so I don't deal with them. Don't know why they refuse my business as none have given a valid reason. UPS/FedEx will only ship 2nd day air and can get into 3 figure cost if there is any weight or size involved and typically twice as much and slower than USPS Flat Rate. If I really need something and they default to UPS/FedEx have called them and sometimes gotten them to send things via USPS Flat Rate. Really don't understand why any company wouldn't use the Post Office. For Flat Rate, they'll deliver the boxes to the shipper, all the details can done on line, and the PO will pick up the package. Other than that good old Amazon Prime works. They usually aren't the cheapest list price but when you figure in the free shipping they are.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skipper Jer, I sent them a nastygram this afternoon. No reply as of yet.

Yes, I accepted the shipping rate, and only because they would not ship this to the store without charging me the same shipping rate - I checked that out before hand. I figured that I would save the 40 mile drive to WM by having it shipped to my home, and at the same cost.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
A few days ago, I ordered a connecting link for my anchor chain, one that was not available in the store, but online. The link cost $6.99 and weighs just 1.3 ounces, about the same as a letter with three pages enclosed. The shipping cost was $9.99, which is insane for an item made in China that probably cost them about .50 cents including freight from China. So this inexpensive item, that WM was likely already making a killing on when it came to markup, now cost the consumer $17 plus Maryland state sales tax of $1.02. The package was shipped UPS Surepost, which according to their rate schedule, the shipping should have been less than $5. USPS rates were half that.

This is just one more reason why I will never shop WM unless it's an item I cannot find from any other source. WM just lost another customer.

You knew the price and freight when you ordered it? Then how is this a rip-off? Inefficient, perhaps, but accusation of rip-off implies either deception or a trap. I see neither.

I shop at WM when the price is good or when I need it right now (they have a store inside the marina). And now they have a complete price matching policy.

Sometimes the price is too high, but I've never felt "ripped-off."

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Skipper Jer, I sent them a nastygram this afternoon. No reply as of yet.

Yes, I accepted the shipping rate, and only because they would not ship this to the store without charging me the same shipping rate - I checked that out before hand. I figured that I would save the 40 mile drive to WM by having it shipped to my home, and at the same cost.

GAry their policy at all West Marines is free shipping to a store. The Northest West Marine is 11.3 miles from your marina or 22 miles round trip .not 40 miles. .WM does price match.

Not sure what the rip off is here

·
Registered
216 Posts
Poor shopping.....
I've saved a lot lately using price matching. The best part is they have yet to complain that the price they are matching doesn't include shipping which, in all honesty, should be included in the price they match since they don't charge me and I pick it up at the store. Ends up being CHEAPER than the low price they are matching. I love that even thought the theory of price matching is kind rotten to others who don't try to rip you off in the first place!

·
bell ringer
4,865 Posts
It's not really a "rip off" if that's the only place you could find it and were willing to pay the price.

BTW - the marina over at Harve de Grace has a pretty impressive fittings stock.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Then why upgrade the shipment with the extra charge USPS final delivery UPS SurePost option?

If I need something now I usually shop around for a local vendor that has the item in-stock in either their local store or local supply chain and in 4 to 24 hours its at the local store at no extra charge.

Anchor Chain Hasps/Quick Links are such a commodity that even Ace Hardware, Lowes and Home Depot stock a good number of them.

Which one did you order? Every $6.99 anchor connecting link I looked into at West Marine had free shipping to the store. Is this unique to just some of the West Marine Stores in Maryland?

I am not seeing the Rip Off here either.

·
Master Mariner
8,535 Posts
Shipping is just one of those things we way out here have to accept. There are a few more economical ways to ship with the airlines, but that requires jumping through a lot of security hoops to get certified and we just don't ship enough to make it worth anyone's while.
For the $34.00 eyebrow we absolutely must have before we depart Trinidad, here are the shipping rates. The bottom two can't give us an arrival date because customs can take several weeks, and unloading ships is slow work down here so they are out. I've never used DHL so I'm not sure how swift they are once on the island. That leaves $110 or $107 to ensure that I get my $34 package in time! Of course, an overnight or 2-day package still takes a week nor more, but who's counting?
Even though it's a light package (1 lb 2 oz), the couriers charge for a minimum of 6 lbs.
UPS $160 (World Saver plan)
FedEx Priority $110
FedEx Econ $107
DHL World Express $71
USPS Priority $48
USPS First Class $25

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
And here I was going to post my own very good recent experiences with West Marine! I've had two very good experiences ordering stuff; in both instances, WM price matched and I saved significant money. On top of that, shipping was free for both orders because of the size of the order. For the first order, I dealt with a customer service rep who was clearly a boater who had some great ideas on how to solve my problem with a boarding ladder. For the second order, WM screwed up the initial order; this was a order for a replacement tiller, and on the WM web site, all of the wood tillers are on the same page. They have different stock numbers, but something went wrong and the rep put the order in for the wrong tiller. I found out when I looked at the confirm email a couple of hours later. I called immediately, and the rep couldn't just change the order at that point as the order was in the system. She did send a request to shipping to cancel the initial wrong order and put in for the correct tiller. However, I later got an email saying the wrong tiller had shipped anyway. The cool thing was that I also had an email from customer service explaining that they had tried to stop the shipment but failed, so they were going to try and get UPS to bring the order back. If that didn't work, they said I could just take the tiller to any WM, or I could just ship it back to them (on their dime). Fortunately, apparently they were successful in getting UPS to intercept the shipment because I only received one tiller (the correct one) two days later. So in my book, they made a mistake, owned up to it, and were all over it to try and correct it instead of making me bear the burden. I was impressed.

·
Master Mariner
8,535 Posts
Then why upgrade the shipment with the extra charge USPS final delivery UPS SurePost option?

If I need something now I usually shop around for a local vendor that has the item in-stock in either their local store or local supply chain and in 4 to 24 hours its at the local store at no extra charge.

Anchor Chain Hasps/Quick Links are such a commodity that even Ace Hardware, Lowes and Home Depot stock a good number of them.

Which one did you order? Every $6.99 anchor connecting link I looked into at West Marine had free shipping to the store. Is this unique to just some of the West Marine Stores in Maryland?

I am not seeing the Rip Off here either.
If you are buying marine supplies at the places you mentioned above for saltwater use, you probably are not getting a very good service life from them.
Sometimes ACE actually has some OK gear but you have to know what you want and be sure that is what you are buying. The others, however, sell cheap electroplated chain, shackles and accessories, not hot dipped proof tested galvanized.

·
Sailnet Vendor
170 Posts

It costs the merchant more than postage to ship your order. They have to cover the extra cost of packing materials. And Wages for the employees who work in the shipping department... Health Insurance for that employee... unemployment taxes... etc.

Sorry, I don’t see a rip off.

·
Registered
22,106 Posts
In today’s day and age, $10 for shipping is not a rip off. The cost and effort of shipping one item to a single customer is not impacted by what the item costs. Each consumer can decide for themsleves, of course. I think about all the time I save, by shipping things to my home and it’s always been worth the cost.

Sometimes it’s hard to recall the days, when you wrote down what you needed, and it took all season to get to all the places one needed to find it all. Mail order back then was a dinosaur by today’s standard. You first mailed in a hand completed order form and waited at least a week, usually two weeks.

I now put things, as I need them, in my cart on my iPad. I press buy on Mon morning and I have everything for the following weekend. I find it nearly miraculous.

The thread would be better titled “WM shipping cost”. I’ve found that WM has improved substantially since their new owners took over. For example, price matching. I love the “find in store” feature on the website, so I don’t waste my time driving there to find an empty rack. WM does run specials with feee shipping on orders of a certain size, from time to time.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The item I purchased was one of those "Not available in stores" items, which is not unusual from any retailer, including Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc...

Now, the cost of shipping is something I am very familiar with, especially small, lightweight items, which this was. When I shipped CDs, the cost was initially next to nothing, including the cost of the CD, hard case, Labels, packaging, etc.. They usually went out via USPS at a cost of $2.90. The mail carrier picked them up from my home office, so I didn't have to drive to the post office and spend the time and gas money to get there. I would have gladly paid $5 to have this shipped, but twice that amount, IMO, is greed on the part of the shipper.

The chain links that were sold by Home Depot, Lowes, etc were all electro-galvanized - not hot dipped, therefore, from my perspective, they were not suitable for a salt water environment.

Back to your regularly scheduled program, :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts