SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Kynntana (Freedom 38)
976 Posts
Reaction score
There was a sport store in San Diego (can't remember the name, but it was like Sports Authority) that had its own scuba shop, which rented tanks and such, but they didn't do more advanced stuff like hydrotesting. I could see West Marine similarly broadening their horizons because many people are more likely to go to specialty online stores and local marine chandleries than WM for high end sailing components. A salesman in the Sausalito store last year told me they're moving away from sailing and into equipment that's focused on "water sports" such as SUPs and kayaking. Given the beechin everyone gives WM about boating products, it's probably a good business decision.

· Kynntana (Freedom 38)
976 Posts
Reaction score
AFAIK no SCUBA shops do hydro testing.
Yeah, you're right. Now that I think back on it, it was a VIP that was needed and another shop was able to turn it around by the next day. The point was that almost anyone can learn how to fill a tank, rent gear and sell a mask. If WM wants to do it, too, why not? It is a another nail in the coffin for the mom/pop shops, but it was already hard enough for them to stay in business. It's just another example of superwalmartisizing all our shopping needs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.