SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some left over resin and no boat projects.

I do have house projects though, one of them being to improve on the finish of a table. I have done 5 coats of Varathane, sanding between each one but I am not happy with the finish.

Has anyone applied resin over Varathane or do I need to sand off all of the Varathane. It is the water based Varathane.
Thanks

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,622 Posts
I hope you used 320-400 or higher between coats, I also hope it was gloss not semi gloss. 5-6 coats usually fills the grain (you didn't say which wood)

Resin, meaning west epoxy? no can do. it has to have bare wood to bond. Also you would still need UV protection of the West system

Usually after 5=6 coats of finish I'll go for wet sanding or even automotive compound and wax on the last. It takes time to get that gloss.
you may never get that glossy glow with water based I've seen it get milky after many coats.

Note; many of us don't wait long enough for finish to cure.

Reactions: bljones and kd3pc

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Probably better not to chance it. The epoxy may tend to lift the urethane and at best, as Denise said, will likely not adhere well. I have used ZSpar Captain's Varnish OVER West System for the UV factor and it has held up very well but the other way around may not work. Maybe coat a small area first to see what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.