SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am plan on bringing a new to me boat (34 foot boat with a Yanmar 3GM) this Sunday from Westbrook CT to Narragansett Bay. Looking for route advice.

My plan is to stay north of long island shoal, then travel down through the race (20 miles from Westbrook to Race Rock). Looks like the max ebb is 1:32 PM at the race on Sunday 9/7. From there across Block Island sound and into Narragansett Bay. I plan to motor but sail where possible, try to keep around at least 6 knts SOG.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You've got a long day ahead of you. You may want to have a bail out stop if the weather does not cooperate. Stonington is very nice and one can pick up a mooring there as the field is run by Oldport Marine and has a launch service. But you'll need to make that decision as you approach the Race as once South of Fishers Island it won't make much sense. And why motor unless you absolutely have to, as you're on a sailboat.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
There are several bailouts on the CT shore, but I'll second West Harbor at Fishers Island (assuming no northerlies). Very easy in/out, closer to your rhumb line, good holding, never crowded. You can dinghy into the yacht club and walk to either the grocery store or the Pequot (only bar/restaurant on the island). It's a quite place. Expect zero transient service. They aren't looking to attract tourists, but you are welcome. Just be polite and self sufficient.

You are wise to time the Race. Slack is safest, but you can travel the Ebb outbound as long as the wind is also at your back and ocean swell isn't in your face. Never enter the race with current and wind opposed.

Then, I can't count the number of times I've just dropped anchor in the Point Judith refuge to take a break. While the Bay seems so close, you still have a long way to go to get to Beavertail and its all exposed to open water.

Where are you going on the Bay?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your tips and advice. I completed the delivery yesterday, couldn't have asked for better weather (could have asked for better wind).

Left Westbrooke at 7:00 AM, made it through the race around 10 AM was back to East Greenwich RI by 5:30 PM. Although a long day the 3GM ran like a top and was able to average 6 knts with the helping tide we saw 8+ knts outside of Fishers leaving the race.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.