SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a brief trip report for those who want to experience the famous Bills Seafood in Westbrooke CT. instead of the Brewers Marina on the right go to Harrys Marine further up the Patchogue river. The marina is immaculate. Bills a 5 min walk away aside from other eaterys,bars and stores. He has gazebo with a bbq and refrige you can use. its family owned and he gets 1.50 a foot. Ive paid more for moorings.

Registered
I spend a night or so anchored at Duck Island every season. Will have to dink in to check out Bills. Thing is I usually do a long day from Stamford to Westbrook on the way to points further east and usually just kick back and relax on board.

Registered
I've dinked in to Bill's from Duck Island. It's a long ride, but OK in good weather. Also tied up at the "town dock" (really a bulkhead) and also walked from Pilot's Point. The walk from the town dock to Bill's is much shorter than from Pilot's Point.

And two anchors is my standard procedure at Duck Island to avoid the anchor line wrapping the keel or rudder.

Registered
Town landing is popular w/ locals fishing and consuming too much alcohol. I don't recommend leaving the boat unattended there. A friend owns the homes on either side of the landing and I kept my power boat at his dock for a few years. The locals were a problem.
As far as anchoring out at Duck Island I have all chain. Problem solved. You can also use a pig on a messenger for rope rhode.
The back eddies at tide change make boats do 360's. The trick is to keep you anchor line going straight to the bottom when this happens.
2 anchors will cause problems w/ other boats anchored around you. It is very congested on weekends.
Jim

Registered
Jim, im curious whats your two anchor technique is for Duck Island ?
I put my spare anchor out at about 90 degrees to the first one. My boat still swings so no problems with nearby anchored boats, but the second anchor stops the boat from being pushed over the anchor rode by the current. Did this each time when we stopped there going east and then coming back west during our recent cruise.

Banned
I put my spare anchor out at about 90 degrees to the first one. My boat still swings so no problems with nearby anchored boats, but the second anchor stops the boat from being pushed over the anchor rode by the current. Did this each time when we stopped there going east and then coming back west during our recent cruise.
I slide a Kellet down my rode in this situation. Prevents anchor wrap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.