SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other half and I just took out our heat exchanger and had it serviced with an acid bath, and had it pressurized. We went out motoring for about 2 hours after putting it back in and the boat ran fine. Now were overheating?!? While we were cleaning up our mess my other half knocked out a black female wire with a red piece of tape on it. Its on the lower left side....near the oil dip stick. We cannot figure out where this wire goes or if it has to do with our overheating. We checked the thermostat, raw water impellier, fresh water pump, and looked everywhere for leaks. The antifreeze is building up pressure and is actually pushing the tubing off!! Its going to 230+ temp within minutes. Were competely baffeled as to whats wrong and to where this wire goes. Does anyone have helpful advise for me??

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Just curious, but is water coming out of the exhaust? If not, you either have a clogged intake, clogged raw water strainer or a blown impeller.

The wire may not have anything to do with it...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We do have water coming out the exhaust....a good amount not just a dribble. We checked the water strainer and impellier they are both good. This whole thing is like one big mystery.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Do you have engine heated water heater? If so, you might have air still in the system.

We had an overheat after commissioning last year...ran fine for a while, then...pow.

We have a Westerbeke 18hp.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We do have an engine heated water heater.....we'll have to get the air out and see if that works. Thanks!!

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Good luck...I think I have the recommended process. I'll dig it up and post it for you.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Hmmm...can't find it. Don't recall where I read it...but, I did a quick search and found this thread on the Torresen Marine site. Gives the same procedure.

Good luck.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Are you loosing coolant(antifreeze)? Like from the pressure cap blowing and filling your overflow bottle.

If not, I suspect you may not really be overheating. Does the motor smell hot?

A cooling system with just 10# of pressure will make the rubber hoses almost imposible to squeeze.

SO---

First put more pressure on the hose clamp and maybe add another--

next--

The wire that you found may be for the temp sender and with it off you may be getting a bad reading.

Remember rule #1

The last thing you mucked with is the first thing to mess up.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Were not losing antifreeze...its almost like its just building pressure with no where to go.

The engine is getting very hott. It started smoking while we were docking. We ended up turning off the engine and walking the boat into the slip.

Any ideas how to find where that wire goes?? We cant see that half of the engine, we've tried feeling around, and using a small mirror, but we cannot figure out where this wire goes.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It seems you may have more than one problem. The pressure cap is supposed to release excess pressure. You should probably replace yours.

As far as the wire goes - is the oil pressure gauge working? How about the temp. gauge and temp alarm? How about the tach?

I would recommend buying the parts and service manual and using the diagrams to see where the wire should go.

The most likely cause of the problems you are having is an air lock in the cooling system, or perhaps a mistake when reconnecting everything after re-installing the heat exchanger. The manual would help sort this out as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts