SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Engine is a Westerbeke 40 from the 70's.

Today, coming back in the harbor, impossible to go over 1000 rpm, stuck at 2 knots. Engine seemed to be working alright, no overheat, just it was not delivering any power. I thought something would block the propeller, and tried in neutral. Same issue.
I believe it was working fine leaving the marina.
I changed all fuel filters 2 month ago, but I can tell there is already lots of dirt /biomass in the Racor while the boat was sitting.
Could that be a clogged fuel filter ? I put a 2m Racor, previous one was a 10m, should I start by changing the secondary and keep the primary untouched for now ? it it fair to assume the 2m Racor would have catch almost everything ? It looks I belong to the people who believe that 2m is better because smaller, and based on other threads on this forum, it looks wrong.

I thought about adding a biocide, but I was afraid of plugging my fuel filters. Funny. Now I suppose I should add the biocide and buy plenty of other filters, and learn to change the filter while at sea ?

Any other hypothesis than fuel ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
**update**
I changed the secondary fuel filter and while doing so, noticed the throttle cable was loose at the connector with the engine. Actually, so loose that the cable will not pull all the down when try to accelerate :)
Easy fix, and now, everything is working like a charm. And I have a new filter, 10m this time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.