SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

Ā· Registered
6 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone started their diesel engines with a torch as a preheater from the air intake? I have a Westerbeke 4107 - going on one year new to me. It is cold natured during the winter. A mechanic in a very reputable yard, the boat is no longer there, helped me start it in March last year with a heat gun. I have a glow plug in the top of the intake, which may need replaced, but haven't done that yet...I know it works, just not how well. I would like to know if a torch will serve the same purpose, safely, as the heat gun, for future use. Power for the heat gun isn't always available.
thanks

Ā· Registered
6 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the responses. I'll try to clarify a few issues. The glow plug is on the air intake and supposed to create a small flame that is then sucked into the air intake. I don't think it is a CAV heater, from memory it looked more like a glow plug in size, but I'll check soon. And I'm not sure if it actually ignites, this is on my long list of to do's and probably replace. I've only used the heat gun a few times and it works well with the air intake bell removed, but I don't think I can run it with my current setup off the batteries/converter. I was interested in other heating approaches only for situations when away from a dock as a last resort. Also this Westerbeke 4107 doesn't have block glow plugs. When the temp is below 50, approximately, it does become more difficult to start without heat. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.