SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Reaction score
Certainly, if you can get a yards estimate and the seller is willing to drop the price accordingly, it may work. This is a very expensive repair by a yard, so be prepared to be surprised.

You get a survey to help you make a decision on the purchase. It almost sounds like you want to make the purchase because you paid for the survey and don't want to waste money. Trust us....this will be one of the smaller amounts you waste along the way.
Very well said!

Not just because we paid for the survey, it's part of the reason but not all. We really like the boat and the preliminary from the surveyor (I don't have the full report yet) sounds like this is the only serious issue. I asked him if we should run away from the boat and he said no, just that it wasn't worth our agreed upon price and threw out a value about 15% less.
15% less should be the offer without any major issues. The best way to proceed is for you to get a yard (not the surveyor) provide an estimate for the repair, then negotiate with the owner.
Keep in mind that what lies beneath could be more problematic - once the work to fix the deck starts, there could be other surprises along the way, this always happens.

· Registered
541 Posts
Reaction score
You would drop your offer 15% after the survey if he didn't find any major issues? The surveyors value was 15% under what I already negotiated off of the asking price before the survey.
No what I meant was that the offer should be 15% less than asking (which you probably did anyway).
The 15% mentioned by the surveyor may or may not cover the repair. Estimates are free and can be done quickly because they are based on what they think the problem is (they cannot see anything) and their experience. Once works starts you are vulnerable to any additional findings.

6 years is enough time to get a deck fitting loose and start leaking and saturating the core. It gets worse during the winter when everything expands and contracts many times, assuming you are in high latitudes...

An advice I was given is "when buying a boat put your heart away...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.