SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7,866 Posts
Reaction score
To repair this properly means you have to cut the top surface of the deck away, remove the core that is wet mush as far as you have to until you find dry core. Clean it all out, epoxy new core in and glass over.

While the chainplates may be attached to the hull below deck and may be shiny above deck they could be severely compromised in the wet deck area. Stainless is subject to crevice corrosion in the presence of water and lack of oxygen - exactly the conditions in a wet deck.

If you repair it yourself if is not terribly expensive but time consuming and messy. If you pay a yard to do the repair it can be very expensive.

There are lots of boats out there, why buy one in need of a large repair?

· Registered
7,866 Posts
Reaction score
I cannot see a yard doing the repair for less than 5000, probably more like 10000 depending what is found. Remember 10k is only 100 hours of yard labor. It is an old boat and inexpensive. But everything you do to it will be at today's retail prices.

It is being sold for what it is worth. Do you want to pay twice that to own it?

· Registered
7,866 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the ideas. I spoke with the surveyor some more tonight and he will get the report to me next week. Once I have it in hand I will discuss with the owner the results and see if we can get to a price that will work to allow me to fix the problem and still buy the boat.
As I posted earlier in the thread there guarantee that chainplates that pass through a wet deck are in good condition without pulling them for inspection.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.