SailNet Community banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks to all for the ideas. I spoke with the surveyor some more tonight and he will get the report to me next week. Once I have it in hand I will discuss with the owner the results and see if we can get to a price that will work to allow me to fix the problem and still buy the boat.

· Registered
7,866 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the ideas. I spoke with the surveyor some more tonight and he will get the report to me next week. Once I have it in hand I will discuss with the owner the results and see if we can get to a price that will work to allow me to fix the problem and still buy the boat.
As I posted earlier in the thread there guarantee that chainplates that pass through a wet deck are in good condition without pulling them for inspection.

Good luck.

· Registered
197 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
As I posted earlier in the thread there guarantee that chainplates that pass through a wet deck are in good condition without pulling them for inspection.

Good luck.
Thanks, after a more in-depth conversation with him tonight he told me that the main area of concern is aft of the port side chainplate area near the start of the Genoa track and aft from there. He told me that it was soft, not mush and that it was the only area of real concern that he had. He said there were some other areas in the deck that had elevated moisture readings but they were still solid. With this in mind I'm thinking that I have an area about 2 feet wide by 10 feet long that is soft and in need of repair.

· Registered
197 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update:

Once I got the report back I talked to the local boat yard and got a quote to repair the soft spot. The owners knocked that amount off of the price and we bought the boat. The fiberglass guy was not nearly as alarmed as the surveyor was about the deck situation and it will be recored this fall after the rest of the season.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.