SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the combo wet muffler/mixing tank on my boat is beginning to leak. The boat uses a Perkins 4.236 diesel. Attached are some photos of the set up, which appears to be a unique set-up for this vessel.

The muffler has three ports, engine exhaust in at the bottom, salt water from the heat exchanger in from the top and the combo exhaust out about 1/2 way up. It is situated vertically, at about waterline directly behind and above the motor in an engine room of sorts. I can get measurements for each port next time I'm at the boat this week.

Centek Marine let me know that their FRP tanks are all for post mixing elbow set ups and this mixing tank/muffler combo is not something they can accommodate.

Any idea on who I can contact for a replacement?

Also any ideas for a temporary patch solution for the leak in the mean time?

Attachments

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Vetus makes some unique solutions in this area, I would look to see if they have something which might fit the bill. They make some quality gear

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used them on smaller applications (Yanmar 2qm15) for lift mufflers and they've been great, but I didn't see anything on their website that looked similar.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
I've used them on smaller applications (Yanmar 2qm15) for lift mufflers and they've been great, but I didn't see anything on their website that looked similar.
Give them a call...they don’t show everything.

Reactions: MDR_Sailing

·
Registered
58 Posts
In case it helps, on my 4236M the exhaust system is as follows:

• Exhaust Manifold bolted to a big Aluminum Swans neck
• Cooling water injected into the Swans neck just before the next joint via an anti Syphon
• Swans neck via flexible water hose to a Vetus Waterlock mouted low down (looks like https://www.vetus.com/en/exhaust-systems/waterlocks/colector-8335.html)
• Waterlock via flexible hose to a Muffler (looks like https://www.vetus.com/en/exhaust-systems/muffler/silencioso-de-plastico-5293.html)
• Muffler via flexible hose to a Stainless Steel Swans neck connected to a seacock where it exits the boat

Been working like this for 25 years +

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Triumphant, how much hose do you have between the Swans neck and the waterlock? I'm don't think I have a good location down low for the waterlock immediately behind the Perkins

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe 4 feet of hose between the swans neck and the water lock,The bottom of water lock is about the same height as the aft engine mount, I am centre cockpit and the exhaust goes out the starboard side of the hull not the stern.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
FWIW we had issues with our boat muffler ever since we bought it. It was a continual PITA.

This year, after getting stone walled by a mechanic for 6 months, I drew up a new muffler and had a guy weld it up out of SS. The cost was a bit more than a factory model but it actually works in the spaces I have available. Completely with the time and money spent.

It may be that the most economical thing for you to do is simply have a fabricator remake one exactly like the one you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be ideal, unfortunately I have no idea what the internal set up of the mixing tank looks like. It would need to be cut open to see how it was constructed.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If it’s leaking, and it’s metal, you MIGHT be able to weld it up and reinstall. Then again if it’s eaten up it’s already wasted so cut it up and see what it looks like inside, nothing lost, it’s already busted.

I will admit to a heavy handed and fatalistic approach to repairs. On average it has served me well. I may screw something up but then I put my energy into fixing it, and I’m making progress. I can’t stand worrying something and not making progress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts