SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I've been busy with work and life and don't get to check in here much any more... but I'm pleased to announce we've done a very silly thing:

We're now the proud owners of a REAL BOAT (some out there consider trailer-sailers to not fall into the "real boat" category). Here she is:

DSC00061-1.JPG

DSC00107-1.JPG

The full saga in all it's gory detail can be found here: A taste of things to come

Cheers,
Cameron

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Congrats Cameron... May the teredo worms be kind to you. :D

·
19,489 Posts
Congrats, Cameron... thanks for letting us know over here.

Have you forsaken the faithful Hartley? Sold her? Turned her into a planter?:eek:

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Cameron, beautiful boat! Congratulations, and nice to hear form you.

Tell us more when you have a chance. - JRP

P.S. I always liked your Hartley. Hopefully you can keep her too.:)

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
What a beauty! Congratulations Cameron. More pics!

·
Handsome devil
3,477 Posts
Ditto all the above...Good-on-ya!

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Not much original to say at this point. Hope she's all you hope she'll be.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats, Cameron... thanks for letting us know over here.

Have you forsaken the faithful Hartley? Sold her? Turned her into a planter?:eek:
She hasn't been out for a while, but the faithful Hartley is still sitting in the carport at home. Belive it or not, the Admiral has grown kind of fond of her and won't let me sell her just yet.

We haven't been out in her for a while now and the Championships are on this weekend (which we'll miss for other reasons).. but I guess we'll have to sell her at some stage.

It's funny, 'cause I bought a new #2 last year (only been up once!) and there is absolutely nothing left to do on that boat - in contrast to the new one! :eek:

For now, at least, we're in the "two-boat-owner" club. :)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Whoa, Cameron, I didn't realize she was such a classic!

You don't own her. You're just her latest caretaker.;)

All the best, lucky man!

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Cameron yearns for a life of poverty and hard toil interspersed by the occasional moment of bliss......he's about to get his wish. :eek:

Onya mateeee.....you fool.....:laugher

ps - have you seen that Alan Payne timber motor sailor on YachtHub ? Struth, even I could get the hots for that. Not much of a sailor but not a bad thing for a couple of geriatrics to potter about the coast in....if they were silly enough to buy a 50 year old timber.......

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
hmmmm.....I think I should report myself to myself for personal abuse.....:D

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cameron yearns for a life of poverty and hard toil interspersed by the occasional moment of bliss......he's about to get his wish. :eek:

Onya mateeee.....you fool.....:laugher
I figure everyone should own a wooden boat at least once in their life...
I'm sure there was a reason for that, but I've forgotten what it was! :rolleyes:

.. Then, of course, there are those of us who'd do that more than once.. that really IS crazy!! :laugher

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
C,

Does not mean the pen transfer went through ? I guess so.

I tell you what she does look good though doesn't she ?

We do expect to see pics of beaming skipper and skipperette.

ps - I'm out of here...crewing on a timber Van de Stadt 34 this afternoon in a twilight. Should be fun.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
She is beautiful in lines and shape and with a pedigree. The photo in your first post does not even make it obviously apparent that she's a woody at all. As fair a hull could be for a wooden full keeler.
Don't give up your Hartley so fast though. You just might enjoy owning the two different boats for a stretch especially if one of them has a very small 'honey-do' list.
I was just out today buying teak for my classic plastic Tartan 27's toe/rub rail. Teak is $20+ a board foot (1" x 12" x 12") where I went but they had a discount bin of 'rippings' or remainders that was $5 a board foot that suited my use. Saved nearly $100 buying their teak scraps instead of full boards! One of the only wood species that was more expensive was Ebony. They had a lot of different wood species but I bet they had little or no Aussie wood varieties here in NY.
Congrats on your new stewardship!

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
C,

Does not mean the pen transfer went through ? I guess so..
I actually don't know yet. :eek:

It's pretty funny - I bought the boat on Tuesday, arranged for her to stay in the pen she's in on Wednesday and yesterday got a call from ParksVic saying there's a mooring available if I want it - I've only been on their waiting list for over 18 months!! :puke

I'm hoping to keep it in the pen and have been told by the Yard Manager that it should be okay..

I tell you what she does look good though doesn't she ?

We do expect to see pics of beaming skipper and skipperette.

ps - I'm out of here...crewing on a timber Van de Stadt 34 this afternoon in a twilight. Should be fun.
Yes, you did - and I sent you a pic of the beaming skipperette (now, if only I could get her to take the helm...), but the stemhead fitting is coming out ASAP for re-galvanising, so she won't be going anywhere for a few weeks.

Have fun!! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts