SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'm new to forum. Thanks for having me.

I have an odd problem with my whale in-line pump i can't diagnose or find an answer here for:

I use a 12 volt inline pump as my main galley pump, I know they're intended to be supplemental to a larger pump, but my boat came with this set up and it worked fine until recently.

Now, though, when i press the foot pedal, it functions fine for about five seconds, and then the water flow stops and the pump seems to be running dry. If i wait another 15 seconds or so, it runs again, but only for another five seconds, and so on and so on.

I checked the intake hose, and the water runs strongly out (it's below the tank level), so there doesn't seem to be any blockages. When it runs for the 5 seconds, the water comes out clean and full strength, then stops instantly. It doesn't trickle out or anything.

It's possibly notable that it did start doing this after a cold snap in which temps got down to about 20 at night. However i never operated the pump until the temperature warmed back up a few days later.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
If this is the double action foot operated diaphragm Whale galley pump, you probably have a ruptured diaphragm. No biggie, they should be available at most chandlers. If it's not, post a pic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.