SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got home tonight to find 2 helicopters flying overhead, didn't give it much thought cause it wasn't that unusual; Then I heard on the news we have a 30' gray inside the harbor.

We tried to go take a look with the dink but got turned back, his still here as I type, has been in the bay all afternoon from what they say, but he's almost out to the point and open water.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Good that they're getting him where he should be... sounds as if he was either lost or curious... both happen.

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
We get a few whales here each spring. I see them quite a bit in Saratoga Passage and down around Everett during the spring prawn fisheries but the wife hasn't seen them yet. It will be a good excuse to take the boat down to Langley for an overnighter so she can see them too. I'm not sure why, but whales are cool to see.

·
19,489 Posts
Several years back we had 2 or 3 greys that found their way into the upper reaches of Howe Sound. We could stand on the pier at the mill where I worked then, and they passed alongside us 10 feet from the pier - quite a thrill.

The spent a few days before finding their way out, they were 25 miles inland from Georgia Strait, a long way from their normal migration path up the West Coast

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Thank you for your post Pappy, Whales are Cool.

A few years ago I was delivering a boat to Halifax. I was 30 or 40 miles off Cape Ann heading North. Early in the morning I looked off my port side and there was a pod of whales (6) swimming north about 100 yards off my port beam. For most of the morning we traveled together. I would ease the boat toward them and they would keep that 100 yard distance. But if I would ease the boat away from them they would come closer but always keeping that 100 yards between us.

Towards Noon that day, I guess they got tired of me and they just started swimming north a little faster then the boat and in an hour or so they were out of sight. But what a magical morning it was.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Thank you for your post Pappy, Whales are Cool.

A few years ago I was delivering a boat to Halifax. I was 30 or 40 miles off Cape Ann heading North. Early in the morning I looked off my post side and there was a pod of whales (6) swimming north about 100 off my port beam. For most of the morning we traveled together. I would ease the boat toward them and they would keep that 100 yard distance. But if I would ease the boat away from them they would come closer but always keeping that 100 yards between us.

Towards Noon that day, I guess they got tired of me and they just started swimming north a little fast then the boat and in an hour or so they were out of sight. But what a magical morning it was.
Bubb,

I've sailed with dolphins on our bow wave, but never anything like that. I hope some day to have such a magical encounter, and that my kids are there to experience it!:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had a handful of whale encounters - the most memorable being Labour Day weekend of about 1997. We were sailing across the Straight, perhaps 10 nm off Gabriola pass. A pod of about 30 orcas, including about 10 calves came right alongside and stayed with us for about 45 minutes. I have a distinct memory of standing on the foredeck, looking down on a cow with her calf. There were a number of times I could have reached out and touched their fins when they surfaced. Absolutely surreal.

·
19,489 Posts

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A few years ago Sherri and I were just a couple miles off when we sailed into a pod of Risso Dolphins, we dropped everything and drifted for about 30 mins; the whole time these guys were playing around us within just a few feet, it was great

Gotta love that marine life

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
We were picked up by a mother and calf during the northern migration off Sydney last year. We'd seen some tail slapping going on and went to have a look, bearing in mind that their is a legally imposed limit on how close you are allowed to get to migrating whales. Thought we had lost them until we realised that the mother had slipped behind us and had come up on our stern quarter to check us out I guess. She just hung there for ten or so minutes then seemingly as if she had decided we were harmless she disappeared for a while then came back with the calf. They then kept station alongside us for some time. So close you could see them underwater as they neared the surface. After awhile I guess they got bored and they powered away. They easily doubled our speed and were out of sight in seemingly no time at all.
Wonderful experience.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Orcas around Kodiak

Its great and rare to see large ocean creatures.
Back in the seventies I was working on a salmon boat out of Kodiak Ak. We were cruising back to Kodiak between Strawberry Is and Afognak (sp?) when I spotted a pod of Orcas off in the distance. I was alone at the wheel; everyone else was in the rack. I figured, what the heck, and turned the wheel to check them out. We got next to the pod and one of the largest must have been curious about us. He came right along side and kept pace with the boat. Have you ever looked a dog in the eye and figured there was some form of intelligence looking back?? That orca rolled on his side and looked me in the eye!! Its hard to explain, but there was a sentient being looking at me. I've often wondered if he saw the same thing.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Bubb—

Lots of whales in the waters off of Cape Ann... :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
I ran into a bunch off of Provincetown. Quite a beautiful spectacle. I try not to get too close, as they make me a bit nervous.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Diego ????, they named it Diego ??...............well, at least it wasn't Willy

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What they have is 3 or 4 Patrol boats moving along with the whale keeping everyone away from the immediate area

1 - 20 of 47 Posts