SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts
Re: Whale Strike, Are We Sinking?

Whale strikes with sailboats are becoming more frequent. How to avoid whales and what to do when it happens. Whale Strike!! What if you HIT A WHALE with a Sail boat? (Tips from the Pros #3/P. Childress #53) - YouTube
Sorry, didn’t view the video. Hope this isn’t just a way to drive more views.

But on what basis do you say “whale strikes with sailboats are becoming more frequent”? Data please. And where are you talking? The globe? A local area?

It’s a pretty amazing fact — if true.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts

Sail New England coast and Windwards. Whales are frequent in summer in New England and winter in windwards. They have the same migration pattern as I do. So have had whales on on four sides of the boat at times. Have had whales want to scratch an itch. Have had whales sleeping on the surface at night. Beyond whales on transit see pilot whales hanging out where I like to fish.
Things I’ve learned.
Porpoise are fine. Whales aren’t. See whale spouting go around them. Figure out if they are stationary with calves or moving. Just like with a ship head behind them. You aren’t in a massive steel or Aluminum whale watch boat best is to never head toward them for a peak but rather stay away.
Banging pots works as does engine with changing rpm.
Turn on engine. They can turn on a dime and sailing you are slow to change course or speed.
Some think colored bottom paint helps. Haven’t seen anything that supports that opinion.
Most whales are solitary but will get together when calving or bubble feeding. If you see more than one whale get as far away as possible. It’s the whale you don’t see that will hit you.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Whale strikes are becoming more frequent? Frankly, I doubt that. I have never seen any evidence to that effect, and I would be extraordinarily surprised if the OP could come up with any real data to support his claim.

I will apologize most obsequiously if I am proven wrong, but I am pretty certain this is just another internet claim, completely unsupported by any facts, and invented solely for the purpose of driving more clicks.

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts

Whale strikes are becoming more frequent? Frankly, I doubt that. I have never seen any evidence to that effect, and I would be extraordinarily surprised if the OP could come up with any real data to support his claim.

I will apologize most obsequiously if I am proven wrong, but I am pretty certain this is just another internet claim, completely unsupported by any facts, and invented solely for the purpose of driving more clicks.
This is what I suspect as well, but I wanted to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. It’s a pretty clear claim.

On the driving clicks issue, I’m getting pretty annoyed at people who simply post a teaser line and then toss in a youtube video. It seems rather insulting to this community to be using it largely as a means of driving clicks on your own revenue-generating link.

By all means, use videos to support a discussion. But DISCUSS it here, don’t just toss out a teaser and a link.

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts

Sail New England coast and Windwards. Whales are frequent in summer in New England and winter in windwards. They have the same migration pattern as I do. So have had whales on on four sides of the boat at times. Have had whales want to scratch an itch. Have had whales sleeping on the surface at night. Beyond whales on transit see pilot whales hanging out where I like to fish.
Things I’ve learned.
Porpoise are fine. Whales aren’t. See whale spouting go around them. Figure out if they are stationary with calves or moving. Just like with a ship head behind them. You aren’t in a massive steel or Aluminum whale watch boat best is to never head toward them for a peak but rather stay away.
Banging pots works as does engine with changing rpm.
Turn on engine. They can turn on a dime and sailing you are slow to change course or speed.
Some think colored bottom paint helps. Haven’t seen anything that supports that opinion.
Most whales are solitary but will get together when calving or bubble feeding. If you see more than one whale get as far away as possible. It’s the whale you don’t see that will hit you.
I’ve been gaining a lot of experience with whales these past few years through the St. Lawrence and in Newfoundland waters. Lots of pilot whales and humpbacks. And even bigger ones like Fin and (perhaps) Right.

They seem pretty aware of us when we’re motoring, but under sail — not so much. I’ve diverted around pods a number of times, but I also love being close to these amazing animals.

Last season we had a couple of humpbacks visit us at anchor. Pitch black. I’m awakened to the PShhhhtt — massive exhale right beside the boat. Then the boat starts rocking, I assume from the swish of the fins. Two of them circled us a few times, I assume just to check us out. Very cool, but I did wonder/fret if they could see our anchor chain.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Delivering a boat for the Heineken in SXM years ago on the no-moon midnight watch with an old hand named Rudy (he was John Steinbeck's private charter captain over 50 years earlier). Rudy sent me below to make coffee. I come back up into the cockpit and all of a sudden, something really, really, really stank. I mean 3 day old fish factory stink. I said "what the F is that??" Rudy says "whale, he's right beside us." Pitch black, he was 30' off our port side and blew again. Unbelieveable stink. Suffocating stink. Rotten crill stink.

·
Registered
557 Posts

Have had only one encounter with what I thought at first sighting was a whale. Turned out to be what would be considered a small adult whale shark ( about 25-30' long). It was a magical experience, second only to swimming with manatees at Three Sisters Springs near Crystal River. Both experiences were simply awe inspiring. The whale shark came within a few feet of the boat and left me totally mesmerized. Awesome creatures.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

Delivering a boat for the Heineken in SXM years ago on the no-moon midnight watch with an old hand named Rudy (he was John Steinbeck's private charter captain over 50 years earlier). Rudy sent me below to make coffee. I come back up into the cockpit and all of a sudden, something really, really, really stank. I mean 3 day old fish factory stink. I said "what the F is that??" Rudy says "whale, he's right beside us." Pitch black, he was 30' off our port side and blew again. Unbelieveable stink. Suffocating stink. Rotten crill stink.

Hahaha......some memories you can’t shake!

·
Administrator
9,071 Posts

I don't know whether whale strikes are more common, but it seems like we hear about them and floating container accidents with a lot more frequency than we used to. I don't know whether this is because of better reporting, or more boats out there in whale grounds, or whale recovery numbers, or just me paying greater attention. The video itself does provide some useful information.

Jeff

·
Registered
52 Posts

I would like to have an underwater whistle or sound device to alert the whales.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

They come around but the Humpbacks seem to be the only ones oblivious to your presence, the rest seem to know exactly where you are and don't smack into you much. The second one is a gray known locally as "Captain Hook".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

This is what I suspect as well, but I wanted to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. It’s a pretty clear claim.

On the driving clicks issue, I’m getting pretty annoyed at people who simply post a teaser line and then toss in a youtube video. It seems rather insulting to this community to be using it largely as a means of driving clicks on your own revenue-generating link.

By all means, use videos to support a discussion. But DISCUSS it here, don’t just toss out a teaser and a link.
I don't see the insult in that. I find Patrick's videos usually informative and entertaining and appreciate the announcement of new ones here on sailnet (I am not trawling youtube for sailing contents). If you don't, just ignore those posts. And the 'revenue-generating' aspect is pretty minimal: a single sentence at the end of the video inviting to 'like' the video and/or donate some money if you want.

Oh: in case you are wondering: he does not present any hard data that whale strikes are increasing but argues statistically: there are (thankfully) more whales around nowadays than in previous decades and there are also more cruisers. So with this combination it seems reasonable that there would be more whale strikes. I agree with you that actual data would be preferable but I don't know if such data exist, and his conclusion does not seem unreasonable to me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Sorry, didn’t view the video. Hope this isn’t just a way to drive more views.

But on what basis do you say “whale strikes with sailboats are becoming more frequent”? Data please. And where are you talking? The globe? A local area?

It’s a pretty amazing fact — if true.
Mike, Watch the video and then you will have a whole list of needed verifications. There is only so much detail one can put in a video before it becomes overwhelming. Google is great for expanding on basic information, where you will find your verification and much more. This video is a basic theme and has to stick to it without wandering off in so many other possible directions. The one missing bit of information I am kicking myself for, is not mentioning the possible use of Jimmy Hendrix, Foxy Lady. Patrick Laine uses particular classical music, which seems to attract whales. Would Foxy Lady have the opposite effect? But now, to verify the effects of different music on different whales, that is a whole bit of new research and a different video someone else can do. But in the end, this is about trying not to damage more whales and trying not to have your sailboat damaged by a whale.....please keep that point in mind.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts

Spent several years in the Beaufort, researching how bowheads react to ship noise, helicopters low overhead, seismic pingers etc. .Often found them scratching their backs on a drill ship. or under way while apparently asleep My 671 jimmy wasn't enough to alarm them so several near collisions were avoided only by luck. For halitosis, its hard to beat the grey whales around Vancouver Island.

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts

I don't see the insult in that. I find Patrick's videos usually informative and entertaining and appreciate the announcement of new ones here on sailnet (I am not trawling youtube for sailing contents). If you don't, just ignore those posts. And the 'revenue-generating' aspect is pretty minimal: a single sentence at the end of the video inviting to 'like' the video and/or donate some money if you want.
The point is, this is a discussion forum, so DISCUSS the topic you're presenting. Don’t just toss out a teaser and then link to an external source. Tell me what you’re wanting to discuss. Then, by all means, support the point with external sources if need be, but don’t make my use of THIS tool contingent on watching your external video.

As a secondary point, not all of us have the ability to watch high-data items like streaming video, especially when we’re out cruising. So again, give me the gist of what you’re presenting. Support it with external sources if need be, but DISCUSS it here — or don’t post it on a DISCUSSION forum.

Mike, Watch the video and then you will have a whole list of needed verifications. There is only so much detail one can put in a video before it becomes overwhelming. Google is great for expanding on basic information, where you will find your verification and much more.
It is you that made the rather clear and amazing claim, so just present your “Google” evidence if it exists.

...But in the end, this is about trying not to damage more whales and trying not to have your sailboat damaged by a whale.....please keep that point in mind.
Ah … finally, the apparent point of your post. So, how do we do this? We can DISCUSS this in this forum without having to view your video. This is a text-based discussion forum, so write out your suggestions. Make your point. Don’t make participation in this forum contingent on viewing your video.

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts

Well, it was posted on one of SNs 6 Video sub forums. I don't know what these sub forums are for if not to post videos?
Ah, well then...

I don’t use these subforums. I’m barely aware they exist. I just look at recent activity (New Posts) and key into subjects which seem interesting to me. The subforums are completely irrelevant. It would be interesting to know if I’m an outlier, or is this a common way people access threads.

Now that you’ve pointed this out Arcb, I’ll try and ignore that subforum. Thanks.

·
12,270 Posts

Your not an outlier , I search similarly. 😀

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

The point is, this is a discussion forum, so DISCUSS the topic you're presenting. Don’t just toss out a teaser and then link to an external source. Tell me what you’re wanting to discuss. Then, by all means, support the point with external sources if need be, but don’t make my use of THIS tool contingent on watching your external video.

As a secondary point, not all of us have the ability to watch high-data items like streaming video, especially when we’re out cruising. So again, give me the gist of what you’re presenting. Support it with external sources if need be, but DISCUSS it here — or don’t post it on a DISCUSSION forum.
I don't believe that "DISCUSSING" is synonymous with 'typing characters on a keyboard.' If that were the case, then there would not have been any discussion in the world until about 50 years ago (TTY). Discussion can occur using many different media, starting with the spoken word, sending a hand-written letter, showing images, showing moving images (videos) and many others. Heck, in my country paying money is considered 'free speech' and protected by the First Amendment :|

Your secondary point is understandable. I think the solution to that is to simply not click on videos, rather than deprive everybody else of contents that at least some of us find useful. And you can't seriously make it a requirement that all posted videos (and maybe all images, for those even more data-deprived than you are) need to have a verbal description for them to be allowed on Sailnet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts