SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size furling headsail do you keep on your boat? How often during the season do you change your sail, if at all? I keep a 140 on my furler ALL season and just reef it’s in if I need less canvas up front. Am I heathen?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
It really depends on the boat. My old boat was an old school IOR racer/cruiser that was designed around the headsails. Mine came with 12 bags of sails! I had a Kevlar 155 for racing, but other than that I had a 140 for every day use. I carried a 110 #3 for when it got windy. I would rather change headsails than roller reef. In fact to this day I have never reefed a headsail.

On my current boat I have a 105 jib, and that is it. It is a fractional rig, and most of the sail area is in the main. My jib has a foam luff for reefing, but I have never done it, and I doubt I ever will except perhaps in an emergency.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
It really depends on the boat. My old boat was an old school IOR racer/cruiser that was designed around the headsails. Mine came with 12 bags of sails! I had a Kevlar 155 for racing, but other than that I had a 140 for every day use. I carried a 110 #3 for when it got windy. I would rather change headsails than roller reef. In fact to this day I have never reefed a headsail.

On my current boat I have a 105 jib, and that is it. It is a fractional rig, and most of the sail area is in the main. My jib has a foam luff for reefing, but I have never done it, and I doubt I ever will except perhaps in an emergency.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Haleakula has 9 sails, however since I’ve retired from racing her and put a furler on her I only use 2.. She is a masthead sloop and has a high aspect main.

Her main engine is a 135 which I replaced a year ago with a top line tri-radial. It has two furling marks , 1 at 120 and 1 at 105. Carries a foam luff. This is a 7.3 weight sail for colder weather and is replaced in July and August if we stay in the Chesapeake with a 6.5 oz 155.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
135 Genoa on furler for my Pearson 35. We are in the light wind lee of the Big Island so a 150% would be a better sail for the immediate local conditions. The rest of Island/s have way way stronger winds and a 150% would spend it's life reefed so live with the 135%.

My other boat lived on windy SF Bay and the PO had a 110% on the furler. With the boat now in Oceanside, SoCal use the 150% and almost never have to furl/reef it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Depends on what your local conditions are. My afternoons are typically 20knts of wind, often on the nose. I have only one headsail, a 110% with a foam luff. I roll it up to 100% when winds hit about 15knts along with a reef in the main if I am going to weather - 20knts if off the wind. On the rare days I have less than 10knts I use an asymmetrical which is much more effective than any genoa and more fun. Every boat is different and some can carry full sail in much higher winds and some are more tender - so your question is almost like "how long is a piece of string"?

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Depends on what your local conditions are. My afternoons are typically 20knts of wind, often on the nose. I have only one headsail, a 110% with a foam luff. I roll it up to 100% when winds hit about 15knts along with a reef in the main if I am going to weather - 20knts if off the wind. On the rare days I have less than 10knts I use an asymmetrical which is much more effective than any genoa and more fun. Every boat is different and some can carry full sail in much higher winds and some are more tender - so your question is almost like "how long is a piece of string"?
Is so true...the luxury of our centerboard is General we don’t reef until in the 20 knot range, course see state and type of wind factor in

·
Master Mariner
9,055 Posts
Living in the Windward Islands and having 2 stays forward of the mast, I prefer a Yankee jib as my head sail on a furler. Its a bit small for the few days a year we get winds under 20 knots, but then I have the RF staysail to put up which I suppose makes the combination into roughly a 130. The Yankee is very high cut and that makes for good visibility from anywhere in the cockpit and also keeps the foredeck clear for charter guests to be up there watching the dolphins or lounging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts