SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
Finally a good reason to own a multihull. Reports stated that all the multis were pulled up onto the beach to weather the storm and were re-floated after.

·
19,489 Posts
Saw those vids over at SA.... what blew me away was the all those guys in the water trying to hold a 12,000 lb boat off the beach in those breaking waves... What where they thinking? No news of anyone being hurt but sure could have been.

Can you say "lee shore?"

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Hey, hey, hey, easy now. I didn't say I wanted one! Its just the only good justification for owning one I've heard yet. :D

I like my boats to look like... well, boats.
Whew.

It is an interesting justification. The best thing about a multi is you can use it to ride out a storm on land. Sad. Very sad.

Fast - no kidding on the guys in the water trying to push the boats back into the waves. That's a lot of hope. At some point, you just have to say Phuket.

There is absolutely nothing worse though than seeing a beautiful yacht sinking into the sand.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Of course, this is coming from someone descended from European stock... In the Pacific, traditional boats look a lot like mine and yours would be missing major bits... Sad to see how Eurocentric people can be...

Hey, hey, hey, easy now. I didn't say I wanted one! Its just the only good justification for owning one I've heard yet. :D

I like my boats to look like... well, boats.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
From what I recall the wind direction was unusual and really kicked up. The bottom was all sand and none of the anchors would hold in those conditions.

Where exactly is the "poor seamanship" part?

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
From what I recall the wind direction was unusual and really kicked up. The bottom was all sand and none of the anchors would hold in those conditions.

Where exactly is the "poor seamanship" part?
Judging by the usual refrain...it would be:

1. Anchoring in sand.
2. Not seeing the weather coming in the first place.

Just goes to show, even the pros get caught.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of course, this is coming from someone descended from European stock... In the Pacific, traditional boats look a lot like mine and yours would be missing major bits... Sad to see how Eurocentric people can be...
Hum!! There are a lot of cats in Europe and the reason the average sailor here does not have a cat has to do mainly with prices in marinas and prices of cats.

Racing sailors here race cats and monohulls without distinction (same sailor).

I guess that when you refer to Eurocentric, you are referring to Americans:D cause Europeans like cats as they like monohulls. :rolleyes:

Regards

Paulo

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
According to some people who were on the boats in the bay, including one that went aground, the bay has no protection from that quarter, & no moorings or dock facilities to speak of. The racers set heavy anchors and buoy them, so they don't have to carry that weight around the course.

Apparently the sudden blow kicked up some surf that may have lifted one or more anchors out of the sand. There are dark rumors one particular boat either tripped its anchor or chafed its rode, and many of the beached boats had their rodes cut by this fellow as he bounced thru the crowded anchorage. Also, apparently, many of the affected boats had few or no crew standing watch at the time. Most people were on shore. Bummer! But I ain't prepared to question the general seamanship of people with 10 Sydney-Hobarts under their belts.

Question: We know multis have a tendency to drag in bouncy anchorages, due to their buoyancy and windage. Is the same true for ULDB monohulls? Would their light weights, wide sections, and short rotational period make them difficult to anchor?

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
Judging by the usual refrain...it would be:

1. Anchoring in sand.
2. Not seeing the weather coming in the first place.

Just goes to show, even the pros get caught.
1) ...and you would suggest what, that they anchor the boats in India for a race in Thailand? Not really any way around the sand issue.

2) The damned weather man can't even get the forecast right in my area, how am I supposed to. ;)

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
1) ...and you would suggest what, that they anchor the boats in India for a race in Thailand? Not really any way around the sand issue.

2) The damned weather man can't even get the forecast right in my area, how am I supposed to. ;)
Hey, I agree with you. I'm just saying that if it was some poor cruising schmuck that pulled the same thing on his own, he'd be blasted for the above on every forum out there.

The point is...it happens...even to the best.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts