SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there are two holes in the deck of my (new & unsailed) boat that I'm curious about..
One is forward, just aft of the mast mount(boot?)
The other is aft, just under the seat(not the main drain hole)
What's curious, is that tit seems that water that enters the forward hole, seems to exit the aft...(when I tip the boat back)

Thoughts?
Here's the holes

·
Master Mariner
9,186 Posts
They look to me to be for inspection, or getting the water out from between the floor and hull. Perhaps, there was some water above that stringer?

Reactions: rgouette

·
Registered
Moody 376
143 Posts
may be just a way to ensure that water doesn't get trapped between the floor and hull. the forward hole might be so you can stick a hose int spray it down from time to time to rinse out any grossness thatmay form

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
may be just a way to ensure that water doesn't get trapped between the floor and hull. the forward hole might be so you can stick a hose int spray it down from time to time to rinse out any grossness thatmay form
I was puzzled because I figured water trapped in there is likely rotting any material that's sandwiched between...
But then again, I am new to this...
Thanks much,
Rich

·
Registered
Moody 376
143 Posts
let say both holes were sealed up. any moisture that was in the areas would stay trapped. also what if you get hole or a small in the hull, you may never know if the holes were plugged up.
the forward hull, thee is a round "shadow" of sort like sometingmight have been attached there at some point. hard to tell

·
Administrator
7,942 Posts
Yep, aft hole takes a bung (a cork) so that underfloor section doesn't fill with water.

I don't know from the one at the mast is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would cut a circular hole and install an access port, then you could close or leave open or have access to visually inspect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts