SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
99% landlubber, 1% sailor
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i figure someone out here will be identify the equipment i found on board today.
What I have are 4 pieces of cable, similar to that on the rigging, only they are different lengths, the biggest is about 4 feet, and the other three getting shorter as you go, with the smallest being about 18" long. there are reinforced loops at each end I don't remember removing them from the standing rigging when we un-stepped the mast, so they must be for something else.]Can anyone help me out?
here's another clue: the longest of them has a long shackle attached. I haven't run across any mention of equipment in any of the sailling books I've read.
Thanks to anyone who can help.
-Paul

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Something to rig a bimini or other deck canvas.

Maybe a pennent to connect to the tack of a smaller head sail to get it off the deck.

We had a wire like that inside the boom as part of the reefing system.

Or it may just be junk left over from a boat the PO had three boats back.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
My best guess, without seeing photos of them is that they're tack pennants for headsails. They're often used to help a head sail get hoisted a bit higher so it will clear the lifelines/pulpit more easily and allow you to see under it. This is often very useful if you're single-handing, since a genoa can cause a huge blind spot otherwise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am going to throw in here. I am thinking they MIGHT be for stepping the mast. I recall diagrams for a set of short cables for each side of the boat to support the mast laterally (beam-wise) while raising the mast. Would require a couple pair of cables as I recall. I think Bruce Bingham illustrated it in his Sailing Sketchbook.

However, if there is only one of each, I vote for the headsail pennant idea.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a roller furling. Maybe they're for a gennaker? I don't fully understand why I have 3 sails aboard and only 2 places for them. Since (i assume the jib (on the roller furling) is somewhat permanent, the mainsail is one size, and the odd man out is made from the same weight of sailcloth.
Is a gennaker made with the same lightweight material as a spinnaker?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
There isn't any reason you can't use a pennant on a roller furling genoa/jib.

·
19,489 Posts
Even with roller furling, it's nice to have a smaller headsail when you KNOW you're heading for some nasty weather... you simply remove the larger sail and replace it with the smaller before heading out.

It's good practice, since the larger lighter sail is not meant for heavier conditions and the smaller jib will do a better job without beating up the rolled up genny.

·
Registered
928 Posts
With some cable clamps and one of those I could repair most of the standing rigging if the cable parted.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is it unusual to have a smaller mainsail than headsail? Does it help/hurt performance?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Pretty common for masthead rigs to carry more sail on a big genny than in the main. I'm gonna have to think about fractional rigs for a while, right now, unless they have a drifter or larger I can't see it happening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts