SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve watched a lot of documentaries on Animals.
Watched a lot of Netflix Series
- Crown- thumbs up
- Tiger King- don’t understand why so many like this other than
Seeing the big cats up close
- Ozark- currently working through it
- WWII- excellent
Watched a lot of Movies on Netflix and Amazon Prime . Some new mostly
Old ones
Stayed away from Reality Shows
Continued to watch series Blueboods, SVU

We are not bug TV people however it can be a great distraction from the disheartening news. It is something we can do together. My wife usually doesn’t watch documentaries like WWII but hs very much gotten into it. She wanted to watch some Holocaust movies she’d never seen like Schindlers List after seeing a documentary on liberation of concentration camps.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Schitt's Creek (just finished their final season)

Due South (a bit old now, but still good)
If we are talking Canadian sitcoms, don't forget Kim's Convenience, it's pretty funny.

Other Netflix ideas:

The Kominsky Method is quite funny

We just watched a miniseries called The English Game, about the birth of professional soccer in England.

If you like Scifi shows I quite enjoyed The Expanse

There is always the original UK version of Top Gear. My wife loves it even though she's not a big car buff. (Don't bother with the american version, it's trash!)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
1968 Columbia 50
433 Posts
Netflix and chill, without the chill..LOL. TBH, We don't watch much tv, in any form.

Lots of board games...and honey do list stuff done..

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
When we returned to the Caribbean Digicel had dropped their unlimited data plan completely, so Netflix et al are out. Fortunately, a couple of friends filled up a t-bites each hard drive w/movies and TV shows and we've been working our way through those.
The wife and I will do a couple of episodes of TV shows like Northern Exposure before bed, and I'll do a flick in the evenings while she does her facebook thing (young wife). Another we've been watching, The Last Ship, is a pretty apropos show for these times.

But most of our time is spent doing little jobs around the boat. Yesterday was a shopping day, the first after the ferry brought food to the island in a while, and after a 2.5 hour wait outside in line (only 6 allowed in at a time) she brought back a pretty good haul. This weekend it will be by alphabetical order, but with only 1 real market on the island, I don't think that will help much. Only one person per family allowed out of the house or off the boat, and only for shopping. Still no dog walking on the beaches, TCE! Chandlers are closed, so still no boat stuff like varnish. Got half way through building a drawer and locker under the new stove when lockdown went into effect. Bah humbug.

Fresh fruit still arriving on deck a few times a week.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,151 Posts
Currently: World on Fire, Westworld

Stopped: Hunters - this got stupid after a few episodes, Breaking Bad - I just couldn't get into it.

I wish that Foyle's War would come back...

I've finished all of Robert Macomber's "Honor" series and there are still a few of the Clive Cussler books that I have yet to read.

Then there is SailNet, and a few other fora that I follow.

ETA - "Flattening the curve" means that this will go on for a longer period of time. The impact of "the peak" on the local health care system will not be as severe as if we did not practice the behaviors that help to flatten it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We cut the cable cord 2 years ago and went to internet tv (for the cable channels) and over-the-air tv for local channels. We have Sling tv for our basic cable stations and pick-up other packages month-to-month. We have binged Star Trek Discovery and Picard on CBS All Access (we really enjoyed both) and having finished these will probably drop CBS All Access and move on to some other monthly subscriptions! Hope to keep up with this thread to see what else is worth watching. I think I actually like binge watching the shows more than having to a week for the next episode.

We still watch the local news, but have put a hold on watching the national news, as it is too depressing. Still look at national news on line, however, as I can read it in smaller doses.

Jim

·
Registered
543 Posts
The Handmaids Tale.
Margaret Atwood is an incredible author and the adaptation on Hulu is decent. Probably have to order the sequel in book form. I'm amazed that this book was actually published in 1985. The relevance today is astounding!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Watch? I prefer DO...

Cleared half the garden of winter debris. Mulched asparagus. This and earlier work on strawberry bed yielding the earth’s bounty.

Early spring means cucumbers, banana and other peppers, heirloom tomatoes, egg plant, and herbs are way ahead of normal. Sweet corn is three inches and growing quickly. Okra, watermelon, cantaloupe and a new pomegranate tree go into the ground tomorrow. Peach and fig trees have small fruit so they’ve gotten a small dose of fertilizer.

Ten ducklings need tending three times a day. Their whole lives are eat, drink, sh*t, sleep...even though they’re not quarantined. New layer chicks arrive 27 April.

New cockpit enclosure frame is 80% done. Soft goods work remains.

Cubic mini stove is installed. Put flue through a new forward hatch I built so I can install the old and pull the stove when knocking around the Gulf and Gulf ICW.

Two of fourteen cedar logs are already through the new sawmill. One big wild cherry yielded a 3x10 by nine foot mantle slab. A storm-downed American Elm is in the mill now.

I installed and tested thirty amp electric service to the chicken coop this morning.

Dropped the mower deck on the zero turn yesterday morning and replaced a failed idler pulley.

Tomorrow I mow the lawn, and finish the 2-12V Battle Born mounts and stern solar mount to complete the LiFePO4 conversion from FLA I started last month.

TBH, I spend a half hour reading news synopsis on the WWW each night. Maybe watch a couple of sailing YouTube videos.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
We don't go to new releases for years now. They were so awful it just turned us off the the movies. We do watch old movies on TV... 40s on. What wifey does mostly is stream using chromecast from YouTube mostly to the TV. She is the VJ and finds all manner of interesting and not so interesting content... You can find anything on YT. We don't watch sailing vlogs! These have no advertising... I usually fall asleep watching tele... cable news is annoying, repetitious, and boring.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Mostly You Tube videos and Podcasts:

Scott Adams Podcasts
War Room: Pandemic Podcasts
Remy: Savage (Megan Thee Stallion Coronavirus Bailout Parody)
Don't Expect Millions To Die From Coronavirus, Says Richard Epstein
BUILDING THE FIRST TRANSATLANTIC TELEPHONE CABLE
What's Inside 3M N95 Respirator Masks? Find out!
Tesla Ventilator
The Portal, Ep. #025 (solo with host Eric Weinstein), The Construct - Jeffrey Epstein
How to Make a Sail Pack for Your Boat
Bill Burr Driving: The Hills
The Last Gunfight: The Sinking of the Haguro
Stanford White Documentary
Chuck Berry Punched Keith Richards in the Face
Deleted scenes from Titanic movie
U.S. NAVAL GUN FACTORY WASHINGTON, D.C. 1940s U.S. NAVY ARTILLERY & GUN DESIGN MOVIE
The Largest Private House in New York is Torn Down, March 1927
Eat Like Andy Warhol
Exploring Key West Abandoned Beaches And Catching
Thrills and chills sailing into Beaufort

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Started watching a lot of the Everest Documentries on Prime and IMDb Channel.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Why I just argue with folks on the internet!!! Endless variety.

Seriously I’ve got to put this thing down.

Steel boat so I’ve spent a few days chasing rust.
Fooled around with a few boat projects.
Bought some green bean coffee and am trying to learn to roast and grind
Once in a while I cook something, I made some stew out of Mahi Mahi the other night using some local vegetables and it turned out right good.
And I’m reading a 3 volume book on the civil war by Foote. Exceptional but about a thousand pages.

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why I just argue with folks on the internet!!! Endless variety.

Seriously I’ve got to put this thing down.

Steel boat so I’ve spent a few days chasing rust.
Fooled around with a few boat projects.
Bought some green bean coffee and am trying to learn to roast and grind
Once in a while I cook something, I made some stew out of Mahi Mahi the other night using some local vegetables and it turned out right good.
And I’m reading a 3 volume book on the civil war by Foote. Exceptional but about a thousand pages.
I roast my own green beans of coffee too.
Mostly Ethiopian Euricheff, Tanzanian Peaberry, and Kona

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
How about these two:

Off Center Harbor - mostly wooden boats

The Green Interview - very good interviewer and some interesting talks

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
The Green Interview - very good interviewer and some interesting talks
Fun. I know Silver Donald (Don) Cameron (aka "The Green Interview"). Awesome guy, and great writer and journalist. Big time sailor and cruiser as well. Worked with him on some related things in the past, but we've lost track of each other these past few years. I'll have to drop him a line thanks to your prompt.

·
Registered
246 Posts
With your wife's interest, I highly recommend "The Windemere Children." You can find it on PBS online. It's a dramatization of the true story of children Holocaust survivors brought to Lake Windemere in England to recuperate. Wonderfully done with an epilogue of short interviews of a few of the survivors as they are today. A story of triumph over adversity.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I seem to watch the same youtube videos of my dream sailboat over, and over again! :grin

We have been catching up on some of the "regular" tv shows that we had missed, through Hulu+. Watched the 2 hour series finale of "Modern Family" last night. We love watching shows after they air, as the Modern Family finale was only 1 hour and 20 minutes (after 40 minutes of commercials were cut)!

We did pick up Netflix a week and a half ago. First thing we binged watched was Tiger King. What a train wreck that was. It was very captivating as none of the characters were actors, it was footage of the real people. There are a couple of other series that look interesting that we also likely start watching this week.

Will probably start watching some more movies/shows on Disney+. Verizon, who is my cell phone provider, has offered everyone with their cell or internet service a free year of Disney+

Jim

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
^ I resemble that!!!

With a 5’ bow sprit, a 66# spade port and a 125# Mantus starboard when vied from above our boat strongly resembles a giant harpoon. It actually works on pilings, especially when backing out and the bow is sliding along until it doesn’t.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts