SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a brand-spanking-new tranny in my 1972 Northstar powered by a 15 year old Universal M4-30. It replaced a Hurth 50. I've looked at the zf-marine.com site but can't seem to locate the recommended automatic transmission fluid. Anyone know?

·
Super Moderator
6,762 Posts
It should say

If it's a Hurth/ZF it should have a label right on it telling you what to use..

Here's the link to Hurth/ZF's lubrication list. The ZF-4 to ZF-115 transmissions fall under Hurth's 04D class of lubricants which are ATF fluids.

If you scroll down to the 04D category of lubes on this link you'll see all the approved ATF's you can use in that tranny.

Hurth/ZF Approved Lubricant List (LINK)

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
curious. looks like any of the ATF fluids is approved.
for my transmission (Yanmar) the manual specifies ATF-M which is a designation I was never able to find on anything (so I used the same ATF my van takes :) ). I wonder if they also accept pretty much anything (and why all the different fluids for cars, then?)

·
Aspiring to be a Mexican
543 Posts
The auto transmission manufacturers use different types of ATF to achieve different types of grip inside of the transmissions. Type F, the ford type stuff has some abrasive in it to help the bands grab. If you use a different type the unit slips. If you put Type F in the wrong transmission it will shift firmly and it will wear out quickly. As far as BMW, Lexus, Porsche, whatever, I can't keep up anymore.
If you're looking for the highest quality lubricants Swepco can't be beat. I've never seen a gearbox running Swepco fail other than normal very broken parts in race trannies, but not worn out. In racing big things break sometimes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts