SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Huge novice
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, ladies, and others.

I'd would hereby like to humbly request suggestions considering
a 36-39ft boat for a possibly 10-15 year long circumnavigation.

Budget: approximately $45000 for boat only. New electronics etc
is a completely other issue, this question is regarding the boat only.

My best to all of you.

JustLittleTinyMe :D

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I'm not really versed enough to point you in the right direction, as I only know boats that I know. Your question is asked frequently, in one form or another. Almost always requires a bit more clarity on what you are looking for, because price is not a good filter. It's a limit, understandably, but one can go to Yachtworld and look at all boats under that price range.

For example, do you prefer a sloop over a ketch, bulletproof over speed/maneuverability, tight cockpit over entertaining space, protection from an overtaking wave over a walkdown transom, easy to shorthand, crew capacity, etc, etc. How much sailing experience you have may influence your choice too.

Good luck in finding your boat.

·
Huge novice
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost always requires a bit more clarity on what you are looking for, because price is not a good filter.
I don't agree with you. There are not that many boats that fits the criteria for
"bluewater-worthy" in that price-range. Most of them has for instance much too
small freshwater/diesel-tanks. Therefore I didn't specify further, because I didn't
want to restrict the question too much. I'm open-minded, would just like to know
what kind of a boat you (who are reading this) think would be the most suitable
for the task. I'm open for everything. Although I'm not going to take someone
seriously if they suggest a life-raft as a suitable vessel. :rolleyes:

Don't ask me to specify further.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
you want advice on what boat to get and you don't want to specify further...this is off to a great start :rolleyes:

http://www.sailfarlivefree.com/2012/03/top-10-favorite-affordable-bluewater.html

Are you already angry the answers you will be getting won't be supportive of the 45K for what you want? There are however, plenty of old blue water cruisers you could get that are ready for a refit that DO fit your boat only costs. :eek:

·
Registered
673 Posts
I would suggest something like a FLYING SCOT. Now before you say WTF, that's a daysailor... hear me out.
Not knowing where you live I assume you're here in our backyard on Chesapeake Bay.
So you buy a FS and you sail around locally for a summer, then you start camping out on it and work your way down the Bay to Norfolk. Next you start down the ICW, still camping out until you get to FLA. Yeah, I know, pretty spartan living. By the time you get to FLA you will have enough experience and knowledge to know A)whether you want to keep going. . . (you did say this was a 10-15 year voyage) and B)what sort of boat you are going to want/need to cross to the Bahamas.
So once you get to FLA you sell the FS, buy a bigger boat more suited for coastal cruising, like say an Islander 30 or even a Catalina 30. Take off and go cruising the Bahamas.

You see where I'm going w/ this? Just keep getting a boat that suits your needs for the NEXT leg of the journey.

IOW, by your phrasing of the original post you don't really seem to know much about sailing and want us to do all the thinking for you. THAT is really dangerous. YOU should know what you want and need in order to chose a boat that suits how you are going to sail. Otherwise you're just another fool who will someday need rescuing.

·
Working for next Boat
213 Posts
With what i a have read so far, I Second the FLYING SCOT idea, OP now if you truly think "I don't agree with you. There are not that many boats that fits the criteria for
"bluewater-worthy" in that price-range." is the case then you have the list you need to pick from, if you still dont have a clue then maybe a Hobi 16 is the place for you to start.

Reactions: Mr. Bubs

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Your question is asked frequently, in one form or another. Almost always requires a bit more clarity on what you are looking for, because price is not a good filter. It's a limit, understandably, but one can go to Yachtworld and look at all boats under that price range.
True enough, but his query DOES distinguish itself from most - in that his $45K budget is roughly 3-5X what is typical for most of our would-be circumnavigators...

:)

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
OK, I'll play. You should be able to get a Wauquiez Hood 38 within your budget. The boat will likely need some upgrading.

·
Huge novice
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...and want us to do all the thinking for you.
Actually it's a bit the other way around. I don't specify further since I don't want
you to think for me. But usually everybody has an idea for how to do such a journey.
That's what this is about.

And if someone at this point would tell me to "this is the boat for you", I'd probably
feel like punching the guy in i face. Because it's my life, therefore my decision.
Which again, is why I won't specify further.

YOU should know what you want and need in order to chose a boat that suits how you are going to sail.
I know exactly what I want/need, but I do not know if I've missed something.

That's the problem with boats, there are simply too many of them out there.
Once you think you have a good general understanding for what models there
are out there, you suddenly have an unknown model of a (for you) completely
unknown brand right in front of you.

And I can keep on sailing this and that until the day I die, and I still won't even
have skimmed the top of all the experience I would have to have in order to
narrow down the possible candidates to a handful.

·
Old soul
4,917 Posts
When we were searching for our new (old) boat, we had a similar budget and LOA range. Ours range was slightly broader (36' to 40') and perhaps slightly more $$$. We were also constrained by local (we didn't have the budget to travel huge distances to view boats). Here's the list of boats we were actively looking at near the end of the search:

• C&C Landfall-38
  • Cheoy Lee 38
  • Mariner 40
  • Corbin 39
  • Pearson 368
  • Tartan 37
  • Rafiki 37 (the one we finally settled on)
There are plenty of others that could be added, but hopfully this will help.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Just.

By providing additional information, you're not surrendering you ability to make your own decisions.

You say you know exactly what you want and need, and it appears that you already have a list started. Sharing any constraints that you might have ( like height below deck, no double-enders etc. Draft, east coast or west coast? ) would help eliminate suggestions that don't fit.

For instance, I don't see many Sabres, an east coast manufacturer, on the West coast so probably wouldn't suggest them were you there.

Sharing the list that you've compiled will at the very least eliminate people suggesting vessels you are already considering.

Have you seen this list yet? http://www.mahina.com/BoatsToConsiderv21.pdf

Or this thread? http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...best-used-cheap-blue-water-boats-30-45ft.html

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Since we have to beg for information, I think perhaps the fact that the OP is in Germany may also make a difference to the suggested boats? Although we don't know if he/she is looking for one in Germany or will eventually go to another country which will then shift the choices available.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I don't agree with you. There are not that many boats that fits the criteria for
"bluewater-worthy" in that price-range. Most of them has for instance much too
small freshwater/diesel-tanks. Therefore I didn't specify further, because I didn't
want to restrict the question too much. I'm open-minded, would just like to know
what kind of a boat you (who are reading this) think would be the most suitable
for the task. I'm open for everything. Although I'm not going to take someone
seriously if they suggest a life-raft as a suitable vessel. :rolleyes:

Don't ask me to specify further.
Is this how you asked around your neighborhood and when surprised that people didn't want to play along, you came here?

First, you implied "bluewater worthy" by stating a 10-15 year circumnavigation, but never actually specified. Secondly, there is no commonly accepted definition of "bluewater worthy", but depending on plans and routing, one would not be absolutely necessary anyway. Up to you, if you don't want to assist in your own endeavor.

Again, I wish you good luck. However, you might want to be a bit less critical of those that are trying to help.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts