SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
dylanthered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice and opinions ...

My friend and I are planning a sail from Seattle to Texas via the Panama Canal. We are researching to find out the right type of boat. We're thinking that with a total crew of 6 - 8 we need at least a 55 footer and are considering upwards of 75 foot.

Schooners have more space it seems but I heard they don't point well. Would that really be an issue for us?

Do the pros outweigh the cons of owning a cutter instead of just a sloop?

Are there any brands that we should focus on? Any that we should stay away from?

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
A few points to start with:

First, what is your budget? You're going to be limited in what boats and what size boats are possible depending on the finances.

Second, when you say a total crew of 6-8, is that 6-8 separate individuals, four couples, a couple and several friends, etc? This can make a difference in the size boat you need, since four couples can get away with four double berths, 6-8 separate individuals, usually won't be too happy with sharing berths on a longer voyage like that-meaning that you'd need 6-8 berths.

Third, what kind of sailing experience do you and your friend have? How much experience does the rest of the people you're looking to have as crew have among them? My guess is that you don't have much, based on the questions you're asking.

There have been many posts, mostly by Jeff_H, regarding the pros and cons of the different sailplans. You'd do well to search them out. I'd highly recommend you read this POST to help you get the most out of sailnet, as well as learn how to search the Sailnet forums using google, since the sailnet search function is somewhat limited.

There are a lot of boats that would be suitable for this type of voyage, but a lot of what is suitable for you and your crew depends on what you're looking to get out of the voyage and what your longer term plans for the boat are.

·
dylanthered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are thinking a budget of $75k to $100k based on the idea that we would need to put 20% down for a boat loan.

6 - 8 male friends. That's a good point about 2 buddies not wanting to share a bed for that period of time.

My friend and I have only sailed around Puget Sound in a 27' Catalina. I'm working on getting some time on other larger boats. We'll also find a way onto a sail out on the ocean and get some more formal training. Captains license? Maybe. The other individuals will have very little experience.

Thanks, I'll follow the link.

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
You will very, very hard pressed to find a sea worthy 55 footer at that price range. You need to look at 38-42 feet and seriously think about hot bunking.

You could of course, rip out the berths of whatever you buy and putting in bunks, but that will kill your resale value- if that matters to you.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I would believe you need to rethink your plan. Not to be cruel, but I believe you are about to be given a rude awakening. Not that it is IMPOSSIBLE, but highly IMPROBABLE for this plan to work. What are your ages? .......i2f

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
The other part of the equation that I failed to mention is your need to finance the boat. Your price range not only won;t get you a 55 footer, but for a decent quality boat in that price range, you are looking at 15-20 year old boat or older. It is very hard to find financing for an older boat. Not impossible, but difficult. Add into this your inexperience in sailing and you will have a tough time finding insurance which you will absolutely have to have in order to finance a boat.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
Good point about the insurance Mimsy. I'm guessing from the OP that they are looking at wooden schooners which are priced pretty low these days, but it would be tough to get insurance on an older wooden boat with an inexperienced crew to go offshore.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
You'll be pretty hard pressed to get a bluewater capable boat that can handle 6-8 people for that price, especially since you're looking at financing it. Most banks will not be too happy about you sailing off into the blue with the collateral for the loan, unless you have some other collateral to put up, especially given your lack of bluewater experience.

We are thinking a budget of $75k to $100k based on the idea that we would need to put 20% down for a boat loan.

6 - 8 male friends. That's a good point about 2 buddies not wanting to share a bed for that period of time.

My friend and I have only sailed around Puget Sound in a 27' Catalina. I'm working on getting some time on other larger boats. We'll also find a way onto a sail out on the ocean and get some more formal training. Captains license? Maybe. The other individuals will have very little experience.

Thanks, I'll follow the link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.