Stevens 47
Amel Super Maramu
Bristol 45.5
Hallberg Rassy 42/46
Brewer 42
Saga 43
Montecarlo 43

All advise and thoughts welcome.
I don't know the Montecarlo so cannot comment on it. We have a Bristol 45.5 and has served us well. Tough as can be and reasonably quick for its age and purpose. We looked at Petersons and I think the Bristol is better. Quite impressed with the Stevens 47 and various HRs we have seen. Very big fan of Amel. if we were doing it over and with more money to spend and if we were staying with a mono (answer big question), the admiral has said it would an Amel.

Final comment, the boats you are comparing here are quite different in both size and cost. I like the Saga but it seems much smaller to me. I don't think the Brewer/Whitby 42 (made in my home port of Brewer (I mean Whitby)) are in the same class as the others. Passport 40 is also not close in size to boats like the Stevens and Bristol. There are other boats in the 45' +/- range as well.

Final comment, I have never even done an overnight on cat but there are families out there doing circumnavigations in them quite happily.

· Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Reaction score
The newer Amels (pricier of course) are much better looking boats than the early ones. Certainly when you start looking at Amels and HRs the prices are definitely up there. I guess you could always go for a Little Harbor if you want a more expensive version of a Bristol.

· Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Reaction score
One thing I really like about Amels is that the factory keeps a very detailed database about your boat. If you change out a bilge pump in Suva then want you to tell them so they can update the DB. If you get stuck somewhere and need something that you can't source locally they will send whatever it is that you need. That strikes me as a huge plus.

There are obviously some quick catamarans out there but if you take one in 40 to 45' range, which is what the budget here suggests and load it down with all the crap a family needs for extended cruising they do slow down a lot more than an equivalent monohull. We buddy-boated with an Antares 44 for thousands of miles and had no particular problems keeping - with both boats having couples of crews who were in particular hurry. I think there are good reasons to have a cat for a family but speed would be well down the list of virtues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.