SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Mermaid Hunter
5,666 Posts
Reaction score
Of your list, I might be tempted by the Saga 43, but that's largely due to my preference for an aft cockpit... But Auspicious is right, you couldn't go wrong with a Frers-designed H-R, I think those are wonderful boats, and one of the few center-cockpit boats I would care to own, and I was really impressed by the overall quality and performance of the 43 I delivered last year...
I like the Saga also. Buying a center cockpit was something of a surprise for me. HR, Moody, and some of the Najads have managed to avoid the wedding cake aesthetic. The aft cabin sure is nice, as is the aft deck.

I don't know all the boats on the OP list from personal experience. The Peterson 44, Stevens 47, and Amel are, in my opinion, good cruisers.

Every boat design has its strengths and weaknesses. A purchasing decision comes down to many small decisions. It is all about priorities. Not all are subject to rational discussion. For example, I can make a very good case for why a head at the base of the companionway is a good idea. I'm not sure I could make a case for not having a head there as a deal-breaker, but it would be for me.

I'll sail nearly anything. A boat I own has to speak to me.

· Mermaid Hunter
5,666 Posts
Reaction score
Passport 40 is also not close in size to boats like the Stevens and Bristol.
I think the biggest issue with the Passport 40 is that it is not a good fit for racers, even retired racers gone cruising. It just stops in a sea.

· Mermaid Hunter
5,666 Posts
Reaction score
Weighed against this option is the potential hassle of getting to know and preparing a boat in a foreign port.
I did that with Auspicious. It wasn't bad at all. In my case I found being away from home provided great focus on getting finished and off the dock. I did have excellent local support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.