SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
That has the look of another local boat, but longer, Baba 40 is the one I am thinking of. Not sure if there is a longer one with a pilot house like that or not. The one I am thinking of is slower than a dead slug, unless the wind pipes up, then watch out, plow thru anything!

It look representative of some of the Taiwan built double enders of the late 70's into the early 80's.

Marty

·
19,489 Posts
Certainly looks like the typical Perry designed Babas and their cousins, and several were produced in pilothouse versions...

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
ROTFLMAO!

I was wondering when Alex would get the "OLD SHOE" in there. It was my thought too.

Like Faster, it looks like an old Perry or equal designed Baba! or "old shoe"! And a "SLOW" one at that!

Marty

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah she does, does anybody know if Baba made anything over 40' i can only find 40's online.

·
19,489 Posts
Ta-shing, Tashiba, Tayana, Union, young Sun, etc etc... If you read Perry's latest book some of the outfits over there played pretty fast and loose with his original plans and molds - could be sold under a variety of other names - maybe even "Ol-shu";)

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
It certainly does look to be of Taiwanese heritage, but my first thought was Tayana 37 -- although the pilothouse does make me wonder.

Hmmm... old shoe indeed. My Vagabond would probably be more towards the "old boot" end of the spectrum, maybe an "old brogan" (i.e., heavier than a shoe but lighter than a boot) :D

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I believe it's a Tashiba 40 Pilothouse. It's definitely a Tashiba, built by Ta Shing, designed by Bob Perry.

·
19,489 Posts
I believe it's a Tashiba 40 Pilothouse. It's definitely a Tashiba, built by Ta Shing, designed by Bob Perry.
Think you nailed it, John..sheer stripe is right, and I'm not sure that the boat shown is over 40' (on deck)

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is it's not the factory pilothouse, from the factory they had much bigger windows and kind of angled back corners on the pilothouse with round portholes in them. I think the smaller pilothouse is throwing my eye off on the length, it I suppose it could be a 40'

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
John -- at the risk of getting cross-wise with a moderator, I gotta disagree with your TaShing ID. Something about that just wasn't working for me, so I checked out YW for my guess (Tayana 37).

After looking at the YW pics, I'm more convinced that my SWAG was right.

Here's what I found:

Now, if only I could remember where I put my car keys...:D

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
John -- at the risk of getting cross-wise with a moderator, I gotta disagree with your TaShing ID. Something about that just wasn't working for me, so I checked out YW for my guess (Tayana 37).

After looking at the YW pics, I'm more convinced that my SWAG was right.

Here's what I found:

Now, if only I could remember where I put my car keys...:D
Porfin,

No worries about disagreeing with me!!:) :) After all, this is not the draconian cruisingstuffiminto forum.:D :D :D

It's quite possible I'm mistaken and you may well be correct on the i.d. It's amazing how similar the Tayana/Tashiba/Panda/Baba boats are in many respects. It certainly looks like Tayana and Tashiba were using nearly identical sheer stripes.

I now lean toward your i.d., but I can't spend any more time on this, so I'll let the rest of you guys duke it out.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey Moonfish22, where'd you get the very cool name???? I'm going to say that the boat is a Tayana 37 PH. I'm not 100% certain, but pretty darn close...

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doh, sorry moonfish! it just popped into my head one day and seemed kind of familiar, couldn't figure out why...guess i now know. I wonder if i can change it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, this is Moonfish22, i had had an earlier account here but had neglected it for a year or so and i couldn't figure out the username/password and no longer had the same email address. Got it figured out now, I am officially reverted back to strangeflow, sorry again Moonfish!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts