SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What Boat Should I Get? :)

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Corrado1 
#1 ·
I hope this message finds you all safe and well. SO I sailed a few years back (about 5 years ago) on the Chesapeake. 26 ft MacGregor. I sold it, and have sort of been craving sailing since. I am by no means an expert, sailed for about 4 summers, very light sailing.

So my wife and I are considering purchasing a boat and sailing again and wanted everyone's opinion. I have been looking at 34' Hunters as they have the amenities and price I am looking for. So keep that in mind. So, here are the things I am thinking about and are important. I value all your opinions.

1.) Not super experienced. Sailed for a few seasons. So perhaps a boat thats easier to handle.
2.) Mostly Chesapeake Bay but we would like to slowly move ourselves down the intercoastal waterway.
3.) Don't plan on blue water sailing, but would like something that can handle perhaps a mile or so offshore on nice days.
4.) Eventually would like to sail from florida to the bahamas...and then around the Bahamas. If it could eventually handle bahamas to further south like puerto rico - that would be great (But a long way off)
5.) Comfort, ease, and spaciousness would be important. Would spend 1 -2 weeks at a time on her.
6.) As mentioned while not planning on much blue water...if a boat could easily handle offshore or florida to bahamas that would be wonderful.
7.) Looking for something around 32 to 34 feet - around $40k

Thanks in advance!!!
Saw a 34' hunter - very nice shape - $39K updated, seemed very nice. Thoughts, suggestions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Greetings and welcomed to Sailnet. Our first boat was a Hunter. First watch the draft, 5 foot ok, 6 foot not so ok. Not keen on winged keels since they tend to act as anchors when and you will run aground. I don't know your age or physical condition but if there are two boats and they are identical in every way except one has an electrical windless, the windlass wins. NO WATER BALLAST boat. Tankage of water and fuel are important. I took our 25 foot Hunter across the Gulf from Florida to Fort Jefferson, no problem. Pick your weather is key. I know of people sailing 23 Hunters to the Bahamas, again pick your weather. Consider roller furler (can be added later) and how the main is stored and reefed. It sucks to be on deck in foul weather wrestling the main onto the boom with waves and lighting crashing around you while the wife is white knuckled in the cockpit. So look for jiffy reefing.
Good luck, fair winds, following seas and stay virus free.

#3 ·
You'll have a lot of choices in that price range for boats in the 32-34 size. The newer the boat the more the choices will diminish to stay in your price range. I'm assuming you're talking about the Hunter 340 when you say 34. The 34 was last produced in 87 and was replaced by the 33.5 which was then replaced by the 340 in 95. My big pet peeve with the 340 is that the jib sheets were led to the coach roof which makes tacking a giant PITA unless you have an experienced person to deal with the sheets and damn near impossible to single hand. Plus the B&R rig was exaggerated once they did away with the back-stay which makes it a real slug down wind. Hunters are a price point boat as are Catalina's and Beneteaus but they gave you a lot of bang for the buck. If you wind up looking at either a 33.5 or a 35.5 and want info on what to look for I'd be happy to send you a PM with the info. Trust me, there's plenty to look for. Take your time in the search and look at as many boats as you can. I wasn't looking for a Hunter when I found mine but it had been a fresh water boat and I got a good deal on it and haven't ever regretted buying her. My personal opinion is that the legend series boats from 92-94 were the peak for Hunter. I do have to admit that sometimes I lust after that Jeanneau 39i from time to time but then I look at the price tag and come to senses.

#4 ·
First question is 40K your all-in budget, or just the budget to purchase the boat? Is there also money to refit for offshore cruising?

I think that whatever you buy, make sure it has the tankage (water/fuel) for your intended travels. There is only room for so many fuel and water cans on deck!

My guess is that for extended cruising to the Bahamas, and beyond, a water-maker is also a necessity, so budget according.

Good luck in your search. Hope to see you on the Bay after I finish my boat search.

Jim

#5 ·
Wow! These are all great responses. Yes, was also looking at 90's legends, 90's Beneteaus, some eriksons, and catalinas. Any opinions on these? years or specific issues to avoid? Honestly I really see us just enjoying casually, little bay sails, perhaps a occasional great weather offshore....and majority intercoastal and bays. I do believe that our goal is to work down the coast to the keys, the gulf, and the bahamas. I'd say stability, spacious, interior comfort, solid would be preferences. So yes, agree on a draft of like 4or 5 feet....

Longest hauls or craziest stuff would probably be crossing from florida to bahamas, sailing in gulf of mexico, and perhaps a few miles off the coast in perfect weather only.

Thanks for all the help - ! miss this community.... so helpful

#9 ·
I hope this message finds you all safe and well. SO I sailed a few years back (about 5 years ago) on the Chesapeake. 26 ft MacGregor. I sold it, and have sort of been craving sailing since. I am by no means an expert, sailed for about 4 summers, very light sailing.

So my wife and I are considering purchasing a boat and sailing again and wanted everyone's opinion. I have been looking at 34' Hunters as they have the amenities and price I am looking for. So keep that in mind. So, here are the things I am thinking about and are important. I value all your opinions.

1.) Not super experienced. Sailed for a few seasons. So perhaps a boat thats easier to handle.
2.) Mostly Chesapeake Bay but we would like to slowly move ourselves down the intercoastal waterway.
3.) Don't plan on blue water sailing, but would like something that can handle perhaps a mile or so offshore on nice days.
4.) Eventually would like to sail from florida to the bahamas...and then around the Bahamas. If it could eventually handle bahamas to further south like puerto rico - that would be great (But a long way off)
5.) Comfort, ease, and spaciousness would be important. Would spend 1 -2 weeks at a time on her.
6.) As mentioned while not planning on much blue water...if a boat could easily handle offshore or florida to bahamas that would be wonderful.
7.) Looking for something around 32 to 34 feet - around $40k
E

Thanks in advance!!!
Saw a 34' hunter - very nice shape - $39K updated, seemed very nice. Thoughts, suggestions.
A Hunter 34 or any good condition boat in that range is fine for your plans. Crossing from Florida to the Bahamas is really just a day sail in open water. Keep in mind that just sailing and cruising are different. If you plan to cruise get a boat with interior room, some comfort, tankage to support it.

Reactions: SanderO
#10 ·
Hello there. I just registered a few minutes ago. Thank you for having me.
I am not sure I am doing this right or if I am in the right forum.
I would like to know which boat do you think is better built/stronger with less problems (if ever possible, eh eh) between a 1989 C&C MKIII and a 1990 CS 34 ?
I am curious and wouldn’t know which one to pick.

Thank you !!!!

Corrado

#11 ·
For the most part it all just depends on the owner. If you are looking to buy either of those the answer is that the boat that is currently in the better condition is the one with less “problems”

#13 ·
I'd recommend that you focus on how you plan to use the boat. The Chesapeake is forgiving for smaller boats. Being trailable and shallow draft a smaller allows you to easily go to places like Chintague. I also found that I used smaller boats a lot more frequently than larger ones. As for the Bahamas consider renting a boat for those week or two long events. I think you'd find that less costly. Of course I have both.... nothing logical there... more a matter of... Je ne sais quoi.

#14 ·
Ok. Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I will be using it more for cruising, at first in the Great Lakes at first (especially Lake Ontario) and then go south. Though it’s true, I have been thinking about either renting down south or (money permitting) even have two smaller boats instead of one bigger (40-45 feet). One for here and one for let’s say Grenada? Eh eh.
Pardon me. I like dreaming. Ah !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.