SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my boat on the hard for the winter, and sometime before re-launching I intend to repack the stuffing box (I've owned her for three years and have no idea how long it has been since repacking). Does anyone have any recommendations for things I "might as well do" while I'm working in that area? Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Replace your cutlas bearing if it has any play-grab the prop and try to move it sideways and up and down. Anything more than 1/32 inch then replace. Also check condition of all thru hulls and seacocks. Do yo need new bottom paint? Chek your rudder bearings for play and rudder for internal water leaks.

·
3,505 Posts
Inspect hoses,clamps, steering cables, sheave condition, rudder stock and it's own packing gland, morse cables, electrical connections etc, etc, anything that needs to be adjusted, tightened, lubed, tweaked. Put a wrench on every nut and bolt.Tighten every screw. A good bright flashlight is your friend.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
The cascade of maintenance possibilities surrounding a simple re packing of the stuffing box. Ha! Let me see, I need to replace the shaft log hose. That means separating the shaft from its flange. What a PITA that little chore can be. As long as I am freeing up the shaft I should replace the cutlass bearing, too. That requires me to drop the rudder so perhaps some shims there?

I started this two years ago. Got the flange half way pressed off and ran out of time. Put things back together and am planning on an early start this year. The parts are all in my shop, except for the new shaft flange. I will replace the flange with a two piece unit available from Moyer Marine.

After I get everything back together I will cut 4 strips of new packing and repack the stuffing box.

Down

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have my boat on the hard for the winter, and sometime before re-launching I intend to repack the stuffing box (I've owned her for three years and have no idea how long it has been since repacking). Does anyone have any recommendations for things I "might as well do" while I'm working in that area? Many thanks in advance.
Just curious, why are you repacking? Is it leaking and you can't tighten it more?

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
I would suggest you do an inspection of your cutlass bearing and replace if necessary. Also after insuring you have a good cutlass bearing and no packing in, I would do an engine alignment. You will need to recheck again, it once back in the water, but you should get it pretty close when hauled and with all the mount adjusting bolts free, it should be a breeze to fine tune in the water.

Reactions: scratchee

·
Registered
396 Posts
In the occasional quiet intervals between the above tasks, maybe close your eyes and visualize a dripless shaft seal.
Kidding aside, I was just rooting around the web for a manual for the one that came on my boat--goes for around $225 (sold by PYI) and looks like it installs pretty easily.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I have the Teflon seal packing, and it is almost as good as the dripless. (I don't have clearance for a proper dripless).

I'd suggest replacing the hose as others have said, and use new hose clamps. They corrode at the bottom where they get wet.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
All good comments above. I am about ready to haul out to do my packing seal also, among many of the items listed above.

I also am planning to replace the rubber engine mounts. The rubber on mine is deformed and the metal parts severely corroded. If your mounts are bad, engine alignment will be impossible to do. Those mounts are expensive, so be prepared if yours are bad.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just curious, why are you repacking? Is it leaking and you can't tighten it more?
Last year when I launched I had a real gusher. I don't want to have the same thing happen this spring, or the next, and not have any more adjustment left. I suppose I could try to examine it on the hard and see what's left.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone, much appreciated as usual.

To clarify just a wee bit, I was looking for the things I might do related to the stuffing box, or facilitated by its dismantling. The rubber hose and the cutlass bearing sound like things I can put on that list. The other excellent suggestions will go on my longer list of overall maintenance.

Cheers all...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks everyone, much appreciated as usual.

To clarify just a wee bit, I was looking for the things I might do related to the stuffing box, or facilitated by its dismantling. The rubber hose and the cutlass bearing sound like things I can put on that list. The other excellent suggestions will go on my longer list of overall maintenance.

Cheers all...
Good luck with the project, I am on the same boat so to speak - I have removed the packing for inspection (I bought the boat out of the water) and replaced it with Hamilton's Marine Ultra-X. Lessons learned - make sure you have the proper tools for the job, bronze is somewhat soft and can be ruined if not handled properly.

PACKING ULTRA-X 5/16" SOLD BY INCH OR LBS 156" 176150

I assume you have seen Maine Sail's article about this? A must read.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts