SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw an add listing this cat for sale....
The add however does not tell what kind of boat this is, it is listed as a 34 ft...
Supposedly built in 1976...
Anybody has an idea what I am looking at ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'll do a first guess myself...

Extended Iroquois ? (Would explain the non-standard rudder setup)
But keels instead of boards ??? (I think a few have been built with keels)

·
Registered
295 Posts
The hulls look like those of the Iroquois. The confusing part is the windows (portholes). It has the look of an old British catamaran meant to survive in the open ocean.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Most of the Iroquois were built in England and came over here on their own bottoms.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Bljones-

Don't think so, the transom is wrong... so are the ports on the cabintop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mistery probably solved ...

A member of the Iroquois group told me this is definitely an Iroquois although it has been extensively modified...

I wonder if this extension to 34ft on the already narrow beam of the Iroquois was a smart move ...

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Unless they altered the sailplan, it shouldn't be too much of an issue as I understand it. YMMV, but I recall several other small cats having a slight extension of the hulls, much like this one has done, to increase the cargo carrying capacity and add buoyancy aft—often to counteract the addition of davits or other fairly heavy equipment aft.

Mistery probably solved ...

A member of the Iroquois group told me this is definitely an Iroquois although it has been extensively modified...

I wonder if this extension to 34ft on the already narrow beam of the Iroquois was a smart move ...

·
Iroquois MkII
241 Posts
I like the steps aft. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get on mine from a dinghy, since it will be at a mooring. Probably I'll just hang a swim ladder off rear of the cockpit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts