SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All last night...

So we have reinforced Trdae Winds 20/22 knots, occasionally gusting 25/26 knots and 'bullets' for 10 seconds.

So in every gust ONE halyard does 3 or 4 sharp slaps against the mast. Annoying me or waking me up.

So I go on deck to secure the errant halyard but by then its stopped.

So I stand below the hatch, torch in hand but it won't slap!

So I go back to bed AND IT SLAPS!

AND YOU WONDER WHY SOME OF MY POSTS ARE AGGRESSIVE!!

:frown:boat ::frown:boat ::frown:boat :

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Flip the halyards around the spreaders. Always works on me boat.

·
3,506 Posts
Yes, well If I think I'm in some kind of bomb proof anchorage and decide to pull all the halyards back from the mast and cleat off away from the mast a big squall, wx change will pop up and them i'm on the deck at o dark thirty doing the mexican two step combined with the Hawiian Hula to get everything back together while raising the anchor, dodging the boats that anchored too close and trying to fire open the plotter to make my way out to sea...give me some slapping halyards..or a pair of ear plugs.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Using a spare halyard, run the ship's bell about 1/3 of the way up the mast and secure it there. The clanging will drown out any ambient halyard slap.
That's the best idea so far!!

I will note that now its daytime the wind has dropped to just below smack velocity. :eek

·
Registered
535 Posts
So I go on deck to secure the errant halyard but by then its stopped.

So I stand below the hatch, torch in hand but it won't slap!

So I go back to bed AND IT SLAPS!...
Mark, this has happened to me on a few occasions.
A dodger, a light jacket, half a bottle of whiskey, peanuts and music is my recipe. Why sleep? I just enjoy the silent windy night. By the time I finish the bottle I won't hear anything anyway.:cool:

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
I use heavy duty rubber bungees to keep those halyards quiet - works most of the time. Sometimes, when the wind is woofin along at 45 to 50, I use two bungees and a couple Margarettas. Better solution!

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
One of the more entertaining threads I've stumbled into lately, although I have nothing but sympathy for the OP with his accursed halyard.

But like Maker's Mark, Basil Hayden's is a little too smooth and civilized for my taste. When I drink bourbon, I want to know I have a glass of whiskey in my hand...

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Yeah.
You can also buy rubber rope...the good stuff, and make up your own.
Those good rubber bungees are used by truckers with tarped loads at highway speeds.
UVs will kill cheap bungees in short time....literally turn to dust.
I agree. I use the ones the truckers use, and some have lasted me 4 years and still going strong.

Gary :cool:

·
Freedom isn't free
2,949 Posts
All I can say Mark is we must be kindred spirits... Sounds like something I'd do. If only I'd have those kind of problems though.

·
3,506 Posts
Geez,I thought Basil Haydens's was some kinda new knot I needed to know. Guess I need to get out more.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts