SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I expect to retire in a couple years.
When I retire I plan on doing something sailing related because I don't think I would do well doing nothing.

Under the theory that you never know what the future will bring I'm taking advantage of the time I have to collect experience and certifications that might potentially be useful.

I have achieved my USCG Captains licence.
ASA sailor teachers certificate, 201,203,204,205
SCUBA Certification

I have just signed up for the ASA radar endorsement.
I have scheduled to get my HAM radio license.
I will probably get my CT concealed carry permit.
I am writing for a local boating paper
I've been doing a couple deliveries a year with sailopo.com

So what else could I do to:

1. Improve my resume
2. Collect certifications that might be useful
3. Learn something
4. Have fun

Number four is the most important.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Refelxology .... :)
My wife has that covered.
She is getting her certification to teach TaiChi so she can take care of me in the style to which I've become accustom.:)

Reactions: jimgo

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Take a friend's engine apart and put it back together. Make sure you tell him first.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: jerryrlitton

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Take a friend's engine apart and put it back together. Make sure you tell him first.

Regards,
Brad
Hi friend, which marina did you winter your boat at this year?:)

Seriously we have talked before about a diesel class. I know of two companies that do one.
I have been looking for a diesel to work on. It is an expensive proposition though.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of getting one of those sailrite machines and making some slipcovers for sofa the dog damaged.

So I'm not only thinking of classes but projects too.

·
3,506 Posts
As far as number 4 goes: Go sailing
As far as number 1 goes: Retired and adding to your resume? See above.
The school of hard knocks should be enough, go sailing, you'll learn far more out here.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts

Seriously we have talked before about a diesel class. I know of two companies that do one.
I have been looking for a diesel to work on. It is an expensive proposition though.
I'm taking the injector pump off again, once it warms up a little. Also replacing all the hoses and belts, saving the old ones for spares. Oh, and swapping out that pesky thermostat. You're very welcome to lend a hand. I'm even willing to eat an apple while you paint the, err, while you work.

Yes, I'm interested in a diesel class -- preferrably one that uses a Perkins for training. (And a captains license class. Will probably re-take a SCUBA class with my daughter. Haven't dove since we explored the bottom of the Port Jefferson anchorage.)

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe there are some classes that at least one person on certain races are required to take.
What to you think of those.
Might get me a race slot.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Not particularly. Just go to a junkyard you can probs find a beat up old diesel for $20. See if you can make it run ;)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Regarding post #10, I found the USSA Safety at Sea Seminars to be valuable. When seeking to crew in offshore races it can be a significant credential. Mrs. H is retiring this Spring; I'm encouraging her to take the course also.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Regarding post #10, I found the USSA Safety at Sea Seminars to be valuable. When seeking to crew in offshore races it can be a significant credential. Mrs. H is retiring this Spring; I'm encouraging her to take the course also.
Here's the schedule: SAS Calendar

There's one near me in April. Nice.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I have been thinking about taking a diesel mechanics course. I can do the basic stuff, change the oil, the bleed the injectors, change fuel filters, change starters out, stuff like that. But, it would be nice to know just a little more.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
David, Besides a diesel course like Mac Boring offers. I might consider the STCW 95 Basic Safety Training. You don't need it for ASA or US sailing, but if you have any thoughts of working in the caribbean etc. ; I believe it's required.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The other thing I wouldn't mind knowing a little bit more about is electrical, 12v and 120v.

And, learn how to service refrigeration units and I think you would be one of the more popular guys in the harbor. Every where I went, people were having problems with those.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Sailrite sewing machine and some skills in adjusting the tensions plus a bag of sail material.

Basic refrigeration skills with a set of gauges and some refrigerant.

Maybe watermaker repair skills.

The above three things are skills which would earn you friends and beer tokens in most anchorages as well as making you more self sufficient.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I expect to retire in a couple years.
When I retire I plan on doing something sailing related

So what else could I do to:

1. Improve my resume
2. Collect certifications that might be useful
3. Learn something
4. Have fun

Number four is the most important.
Um, go sailing? Do boat projects? Sail to new destinations? With a significant other, if applicable?

For me, the classroom/instructor type of thing does not get my excitement levels bursting. But, I guess different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of those sailrite machines and making some slipcovers for sofa the dog damaged.

So I'm not only thinking of classes but projects too.
IF you have any mechanical aptitude, rebuilding an engine can actually be fun, as well as educational. It's more fun if you don't actually need the thing, at least for the time being, nor is a friend or relative waiting for it to run again. You might keep your eyes open on CL, eBay, et al, for a small diesel for sale cheap. Find one that needs a rebuild, do the work, and sell it to the next guy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts