SailNet Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
(snippageBasic refrigeration skills with a set of gauges and some refrigerant.
Not to be a killjoy, but if you want to start tinkering with refrigeration systems, you'll need to get the EPA 608 Certification. For the very small sized systems (size based on refrigerant capacity) used on boats, the Type I certification would be all you need, and now you can even take an online test for it. Pretty convenient - when I got my Universal (>20 years ago), I had to drive 30 miles for the test.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Seriously we have talked before about a diesel class. I know of two companies that do one.
I have been looking for a diesel to work on. It is an expensive proposition though.
Get an old outboard or lawnmower engine and start with gas. 1. Outboards are a PITA, especially in the US with ethanol and 2. Diesels (except for injectors) are easier.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Get an old outboard or lawnmower engine and start with gas. 1. Outboards are a PITA, especially in the US with ethanol and 2. Diesels (except for injectors) are easier.
A place I volunteer for gave me mercury 9.9 that they gave up on.
I found out that they never replaced the carb so while putting a hundred and change into a free motor seems odd I think I will do it.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It would be both fun and useful to have some medical training. But I'm afraid an ER residency is probably beyond reasonable at 63.

I wonder if their is anything else available.

·
Registered
205 Posts
davidpm,

I'm in a very similar 'life spot' and I plan to open a sailing school in St Augustine....looking for high quality folks to instruct....basic 101 to passage making...interested?

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
davidpm,

I'm in a very similar 'life spot' and I plan to open a sailing school in St Augustine....looking for high quality folks to instruct....basic 101 to passage making...interested?
David,

We could sail there in September. You do want to arrive by sailboat, right?

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: davidpm

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Not to be a killjoy, but if you want to start tinkering with refrigeration systems, you'll need to get the EPA 608 Certification. For the very small sized systems (size based on refrigerant capacity) used on boats, the Type I certification would be all you need, and now you can even take an online test for it. Pretty convenient - when I got my Universal (>20 years ago), I had to drive 30 miles for the test.
Err who do think might be policing this where he is going to be cruising?

The world outside the USA mostly cares little for such certificates. If he can do the job people will beat a path to his boat.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
63?
You have a late start, but you can catch up (I'm 53).

Take some philosophy classes (with the wife). Learn to discuss and debate. Keep the mind active and it will serve you well.

Volunteer at your local youth sailing organization, your qualifications are needed and not easily affordable.

Learn another language. Klingon does not count.

Join local yacht clubs and offer to help other boats, give freely of time and patience. Karma is real.

Take up watercolor or some other form of art. You'll be surprised at how much better you see, even if you are going for Rembrandt and wind up Picasso.

Oh, and sail. Mostly with young folks who do the work for you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree with davidpm, celestial navigation. It's a nice complement to traditional GPS navigation. But the most important thing is to go sailing. YOu'll learn far more than you would just taking classes.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
63?
You have a late start, but you can catch up (I'm 53).

Take some philosophy classes (with the wife). Learn to discuss and debate. Keep the mind active and it will serve you well.

Volunteer at your local youth sailing organization, your qualifications are needed and not easily affordable.

Learn another language. Klingon does not count.

Join local yacht clubs and offer to help other boats, give freely of time and patience. Karma is real.

Take up watercolor or some other form of art. You'll be surprised at how much better you see, even if you are going for Rembrandt and wind up Picasso.

Oh, and sail. Mostly with young folks who do the work for you.
Great list ChucklesR.

Philosophy: You have no idea. This is recently a major part of our life now.

Volunteer: Doing that at sailctaccess.org

Language: Spanish

Art: Going for a pistol permit, does that count?

Sail: As soon as spring breaks. Got on over 12 boats last season.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts