SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found another thread that mentioned the problem I am having but didn't see any resolve to the thread and it was old so thought Id ask again. I have a 89' Boston whaler I am restoring and sanded it down externally primed it with epoxy primer and now have some tiny little beads of brownish goo that seams to be coming out of the paint in a couple spots. it smells chemically and is sticky it only seams to come out on hot days. Any ideas? No wood in the location and if I remember right the Guardian has aluminum inside. I don't know if you guy do power boats on here but figured its not motor issue and who better to know. Any help would be appriciated

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Whalers have a foam core, I think. The “unsinkable“ thing. Could something have penetrated and the ooze is disintegrating foam?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,183 Posts
Could be osmosis, aka "blistering."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be osmosis, aka "blistering."
Well I don't know on the foam but was wondering if that was possible. As far as the blistering I drilled a hole where it was coming out and nothing there just foam and maybe a little moisture. I originaly thought it might have water in the hull because the drian tubes had rotted out but opened everthing up and weighed the boat and its within 50 lbs of facorty specs. I saw another thread on here that someone had the same problem and it never showed a solution so thought Id ask. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found another thread that mentioned the problem I am having but didn't see any resolve to the thread and it was old so thought Id ask again. I have a 89' Boston whaler I am restoring and sanded it down externally primed it with epoxy primer and now have some tiny little beads of brownish goo that seams to be coming out of the paint in a couple spots. it smells chemically and is sticky it only seams to come out on hot days. Any ideas? No wood in the location and if I remember right the Guardian has aluminum inside. I don't know if you guy do power boats on here but figured its not motor issue and who better to know. Any help would be appriciated
I also have a 1989 Whaler that is doing the same thing. Hull is hard as a rock, it has been out of the water for some time and it has small sticky spots coming through. I mean I would assume it may just be naturally expanding and contracting and pushing some chemicals from the foam or epoxy out. Would like to know if it is a major issue though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really just don't know. But sound the same. I want to restore it just to make it nicer but wonder if there is a big issue also. hull seams hard as a rock also. I guess just go fishing it still wont sink. ha hopefully someone come on that has seen this before.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
.......I drilled a hole where it was coming out and nothing there just foam and maybe a little moisture.....
Interesting description. There should be zero moisture, behind the gelcoat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts