SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked in the yard all weekend. Been to the boat for the past 5 weekends and figured we needed to get the jungle cut back in the yard. Mulched, mowed, trimmed, shoveled, etc. I would love to hear sailing stories, race results, yarns, lies, etc. Have a good week!!!!
DD

EDIT: Include pics if you got em............

·
Coastal Traveler
130 Posts
Traci a became a true sailor yesterday. We were out for a day sail today, about 15 miles from home, when we tacked in what we thought was a channel entrance. As we were part way through the tack, the sail wrapped around the headstay and didn't fill full.We were in Irons. The current pushed us into the channel and then past it. The next thing I noticed was the depth gauge at 2.3 feet, and we weren't moving. With the throttle pushed down and the wheel hard to starboard, we got the boat turned around and aimed in the right direction, but we still weren't moving. The sail was now off the port side and as full as it would get, Traci went forward and came over to the port stays and hung out as far as she could I grabbed the wheel and hung off the port side too. With a good puff of wind at the right moment, we started to move. I didn't even notice it at first, but Traci said we were moving. As I looked off towards the bridge, I could see that we were indeed moving. Within a minute, we were back in the main channel and cruising again. As I turned and looked back, I could see a group of people on a dock, that was a couple hundred yards from where we were grounded, watching the whole event. Our hearts were racing, as we sailed off. It felt really good to get out of the situation without any help. Of course, there wasn't a boat in sight if we would have needed more help. I've been in the same type of situation before, but this was a first for Traci. She didn't jump off the boat and run when we got back to our slip, so I think she'll make a good sailor.
Oh well, just another day sailing.

Dave

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Ahem.... In Irons: When a boat is in irons it is pointing into the wind, or is too close to the wind to make headway. In other words it's stopped, dead in the water.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Okay. Sure.
We've all been "in irons" from time to time.

But can anybody point to the derivation of the term?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Congrats but "in irons" refers to motoring and not being able to ... [your explicative here]..Hence the term the Iron Jenny (or Genny)..
Jody, the term in Irons has been around longer than motors. Nothing to do motors. Early sailing battle ships unable to maneuver due to lack of forward motion or steerage were like a prisoner “in irons” awaiting execution. (Irons meaning shackles and chains)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Congrats but "in irons" refers to motoring and not being able to ... [your explicative here]..Hence the term the Iron Jenny (or Genny)..
EDIT: Bubb beat me to it. All I can add is engine is called "Iron Genny" I think because they are often made from cast iron ...

·
Registered
994 Posts
I spent the weekend with a circular saw, two hammers, and a pry bar cutting the outer skin of my deck off. Lots of rotten balsa scooping and itching from the fiberglass dust.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I started the finish on the starboard side bulwark

·
Registered
994 Posts
I stared at all the flaking paint on my mast trying to decide if I was going to use a chemical paint remover or take it in for a powder blasting. I had to work so tomorrow will be spent working on it...

:(

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm new to the sailing but it seems to me that a plausible point of origin for Iron Genny refer to a Genoa sail. I'm sure some of the more seasoned sailors would know.

As for this weekend, I sailed 2 x in lake Hefner :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I beached my tri (photo's on the sunset/sunrise thread) so that a mechanic could look at the motor (Yes the iron genny or iron headsail) which won't start (stupid laws, he can't work on it while it's floating, but if it's on the sand that's ok) and then the rest of it driving the kids and wife around or working.

Ah gardens, so glad I don't have to do gardening, 300 sq meters of land, 250 is house, the rest is concrete or palm trees that only need attention once per year.

If you want to sail, you need to get rid of any kind of garden that needs attention (that includes lawns) so you can do important things like sailing :) That's my view on the world.

Dave.

·
ex-Navy
224 Posts
Renewed my main, jib and spinnaker halyards replacing whatever line was on there with am-steel . Thinking of replacing my topping lift so it can serve as a spare main halyard if I need it. This in preparation for takin Enchantress offshore next year. Spent rest of weekend sailing, anchored in the West River overnight and the came back home.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Saturday, went shopping so the admiral could avoid driving in the traffic chaos caused by Caribana and spend the day lying in the sun and . Cooked a lovely dinner, Rib steaks, handcut fries, tossed salad...

Sunday - galley slave at my restaurant. Dead day due to the long weekend up here.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Took a friend sailing for his birthday (he'd never been) and let him helm for a while. Excellent day! Great wind, sun, sail...looks like we may be able to salvage the end of summer.

But, Sunday we worked in the yard & garden. Weed wacking, trimming, cutting and splitting wood, moving rocks...great fun on a humid day!

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1K7O5ac_Vsc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
c40,

Nice sail!!

Unfortunately I was trying to figure out the extent of the lightning damage, and caulked a couple of windows on my only day off of the week.:mad: :hothead ......i2f

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Thanks...and sorry to hear that.

Good luck!

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I beached my tri (photo's on the sunset/sunrise thread) so that a mechanic could look at the motor (Yes the iron genny or iron headsail) which won't start (stupid laws, he can't work on it while it's floating, but if it's on the sand that's ok) and then the rest of it driving the kids and wife around or working.

Ah gardens, so glad I don't have to do gardening, 300 sq meters of land, 250 is house, the rest is concrete or palm trees that only need attention once per year.

If you want to sail, you need to get rid of any kind of garden that needs attention (that includes lawns) so you can do important things like sailing :) That's my view on the world.

Dave.
I agree, but my better half likes to dig in the dirt and she supports my sailing habit completely, so I have to help her with her projects. Know what I mean?
DD

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Raced in the Gov Cup. Didn't sleep a wink and had a blast. Was on a J35 Scott Free. We did ok, 4th in class and 14th out of 122 boats overall.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts