SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not political, it is sartorial.
Interesting article from the NYTimes - What Do You Do When Extremism Comes for the Hawaiian Shirt?
Writer/thinker/raconteur Charlie Pierce "for whom the boogaloo appropriation feels like a direct invasion of his God-given right to wear a tacky shirt" sums up the situation quite nicely.... “You don’t get to create a statement for me,” said Mr. Pierce, who said he owns more than 30 Hawaiian shirts.
“I will do whatever I can do to keep this from being hijacked by people with grim and bloody fantasies,” he said. “And I will continue to wear them no matter what. I think it’s important to recapture the flag, the Bible, the Gadsden flag, and now I think it’s important to recapture the Aloha State.”

I used to wear Aloha shirts mostly for special occasions, think I'll have to make it part of my daily wardrobe now.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike - it is symbolic but only laughable until you go "hmmmm?" When guys with guns in Hawaiian shirts outnumber old guys at yacht clubs in Hawaiian shirts something else is at work. I've already lost a couple choice flags by surrendering them when they were claimed by splinter groups.
In the meantime guess I'll wear the Aloha shirt, and I just got a "Don't Give Up the Ship" flag too.

·
Captain Obvious
2,324 Posts
Reading this just makes me feel sorry for my American cousins. You certainly have some very deep seated challenges. This is one laughable, but highly symbolic, example of a much deeper divide. For the sake of the world, I sure hope you folks figure it out soon.
Do you have Fox News in Canada? Asking for a friend.

·
Old soul
4,497 Posts
Do you have Fox News in Canada? Asking for a friend.
;)
We do get it up here. I can always tell when I've hit Fox News channel because it is the one yelling at me. Why is the volume always set louder on that channel :unsure:?

American media has always overwhelmed our little home-grown offerings, so we can't avoid it either. But we do have our own local Fox wannabes. Luckily they remain fringe voices -- at least so far.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
This depresses me as much as anything I've seen recently. I love Hawaiian shirts; I'd hate to think that anyone would take me for one of these idiots.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Is this really a thing? Does anyone really care? I have a dozen or so Hawaiian-style shirts in my closet, and I will continue to wear them. Why would I care if some bozos happen to be wearing them, too?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Is this really a thing? Does anyone really care? I have a dozen or so Hawaiian-style shirts in my closet, and I will continue to wear them. Why would I care if some bozos happen to be wearing them, too?
^^ This. Just the thing for a summer afternoon. I've got some classics pushing 40 years old.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Had my wife’s 9 y.o. grandson who’s a big Trump fan(he’s changing his mind now) ask me why I had a pony tail. Told me look like a aging hippy (I am). Told him I had it because I’m too lazy to get a haircut. He was very disappointed by that answer.
Next day visited one of my daughters. Was wearing a Patagonia shirt, Orvis fly fishing pants, Tilley hat and Keens sandals. Told I looked like an aging UPPIE. Answered all bought on sale and I’m comfy.
she was disappointed in that answer.

you can’t please everyone....might as well please yourself.

just please don’t wear orange pants with little white whales on them around me.

·
11,785 Posts
Mike - it is symbolic but only laughable until you go "hmmmm?" When guys with guns in Hawaiian shirts outnumber old guys at yacht clubs in Hawaiian shirts something else is at work. I've already lost a couple choice flags by surrendering them when they were claimed by splinter groups.
In the meantime guess I'll wear the Aloha shirt, and I just got a "Don't Give Up the Ship" flag too.
My Hawaiian shirts (10) double as pennant flags when the mood hits.
I have a10 as that’s the number of times I’ve been to Hawaii😁

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Cut them up and fashion them into Covid masks. You’ll get another few years out of them.
I was just thinking of doing that with one of my Hawaiian shirts. You beat me to it.

·
11,785 Posts
It’s funny how a cultural thing is so different. Wearing Aloha shirts in the Islands is just so a matter of fact with everyone. Can be worn in both dress and super casual situations.

Here men feel a certain ridicule in wearing them, or use ridicule to those who wear them.

Some of the best quality casual shirts I have are Aloha ones from Maui and Kauai. Some of my best T shirts short and long sleeve are made by Crazy Shirts from Hawaii I have some 25 years old which still look great

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I was just thinking of doing that with one of my Hawaiian shirts. You beat me to it.
Actually, my daughter has beat you both: she made three masks so far out of one of my old shirts about two months ago. Periodically, my wife goes through my Hawaiian shirt collection and asks if we can't please get rid of some of them to make room. The one I gave up that is now masks is one I bought at a thrift store about twenty years ago. It was a Dennis Conner "Stars and Stripes" shirt that alternated images of the boat under a spinnaker with technical looking drawings of the hull and such. Sounds better than it looks. I agreed to give it up because I hadn't worn it in years, mostly because it didn't seem to fit anymore. Apparently, it shrunk while sitting on hanger in our basement closet. I can think of no other explanation as to how it became too small.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts