SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
The government of the Spanish region of Asturias wants to unify the management of its 24 Marinas as well as to offer a better service and more information for foreign visitors through a common web page. I am in charge of making a previous study to detect what information and what services would cruisers appreciate more. I would be very thankful if you post any kind of comments and suggestions on how your ideal marina-web should look like, for instance: - I want to book a berth in advance, - the web should include references on hotels and restaurants, - it should inform on side-seeing, - the web should be accessible through the mobile phone, -I want to know the local time, ….
Thanks,

·
Registered
268 Posts
Transportation is a biggy for most cruisers. Are there bikes available? What kind of public transportation? How about a courtesy car provided by the marina. What are the closest stores for groceries and boat parts?

A "real" photo of the docks would be nice since some marinas have absolutely hopeless docks. Power, water, TV cable, and telephone availability would also be nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sander06, in fact in some major cities like Gijón bikes are available for free, but we never thought about linking this service with the marina. The other points are also interesting. Good suggestion! Thanks

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Also, what kind of stores are nearby is important. Grocery stores/supermarkets, marine chandleries, etc, are often important to visiting cruisers who may need food, parts or supplies.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,901 Posts
For me, I'd like to have detailed information on the approach to the marina and detailed dock charts, labeled with any identifying information. For the approach, an enlarged chart with lines showing the safest approach is appreciated, along with depths for the approach. Often, the charts will show shallow depths around a marina, and then a channel going into the marina, and I have no idea what the depth of the channel is. For the dock layout, as previously mentioned, a photograph is helpful since I can see how much room there is to maneuver based on the sizes of the boats in their slips. If each slip has a number, some way of identifying which way the numbers go is helpful. For example, if "D dock" has slips 100-120, with even numbered slips on one side and odd numbered slips on the other, putting the numbers on the photograph is very helpful. I like to figure out EXACTLY where I'm going and how much room there is to maneuver before I get there - no surprises.

I will ALWAYS pick a marina with less services but more detailed information regarding approach and depths over a marina that I don't have any knowledge of maneuvering in.

I appreciate the survey - it's not often that the boating community is contacted with regards to this type of information.

·
moderate?
996 Posts
I want to know:
1. Navigation and depth info on approaches to marina.
2. Phone number for reservations and VHF standby channel and operating hours.
3. About the marina facilities...clean bathrooms, hot showers, cable TV, internet, good water and fuel, laundry, power hookup info., floating or fixed docks, on site restaurants, services for repair, chandlery etc.
4. About the nearby area: transportation, what is within walking distance, provisioning, restaurants, banking/ATM's, tourism opportunities.
5. Any customs/immigration issues if arriving from another country OR from another port within the same country.
5. Marina Rates for transient dockage/electric/water as well as for longer term if available as well as any standard service fees if the marina is a working repair yard as well (i.e. haulout per ft., labor rates, etc.)
6. Lots of pictures!

Thank you for asking and good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts