SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys/Gals,

A while back several people started talking about book by a guy named Damato(?) called Breaking Seas, a story about self proclaimed nerd who decided to sail around the world... he got as far as Mexico, but a good book.

Then there was a thread where a book by Tania Aebi called Maiden Voyage became the topic. (wow...by the way)

Ok, I've read those two... any other suggestions? I mean "good" books not just "well, it's a book about sailing."

Thanks in advance.
WBS

·
Registered
2,953 Posts

·
That Drunk Guy
257 Posts
Two of my favorites are Storm Passages by Webb Chiles, and Solitaire Spirit by Les Powles.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Since winter is coming here in the Northeast I recommend a book called Castaways in the Cold. It's fiction but, I was impressed with amount of detail the Author provided about surviving being shipwrecked in the Arctic. In the days of no EPIRB, GPS or any other electronic communications.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A WINTERS TALE: CASTAWAY IN THE COLD
I found out the author Issac I. Hayes was a member of the second Grinnell expedition that went in search of the Franklin expedition and had some personal experience surviving being ship wrecked experience in the Arctic. I found it a good read and it is a free download on Amazon for the Kindle.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Around the World in "Wanderer III" by Eric Hiscock is worth reading. The story of a couple who were well prepared for their circumnavigation in the early 50s in their 30 ft wooden boat.

Shrimpy by Shane Acton is one of my personal favourites and worth having onboard for those moments when you have doubts. He sailed around the world in a 18 ft plywood boat with no previous sailing experience at all.

Both pre GPS so their sections on sextant navigation are an interesting series of contrasts.

·
3,506 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts