SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have cast off into the full time cruising lifestyle, what is one thing you wish you knew before taking the plunge.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
TQA, is it really so hard to catch fish out in the open? I actually heard that often.
This is my second stint cruising, I was on a shoestring the first time for 7 years in the 90s. I almost never caught anything trolling. In those days spearfishing was OK almost everywhere except the Bahamas and I became a good shot. That way I could choose what fish to have for dinner.

I do a little better nowadays in part I think because my boat is faster but there are people who catch a LOT more than I do. I tow 3 lures, one at 200m. one at 150 m and one in the middle skipping on the surface just behind the boat. Just now trolling on passage is hard work as there is a huge amount of sargassum seaweed and this fouls the hooks so every few minutes you pull in the line clear the weed and reset it.

The surest way to catch something is bottom fishing near or on a wreck using a live bait.

Dizzy my cat likes fish and I do OK off the back of the boat in anchorages using chicken skin for bait. I catch small grunts mostly but you get the odd surprise.

·
Administrator
7,723 Posts
That's depressing Roger. :) I would hope more things do change.
Friend departing on a cruise said "in a years time I'm going to be a completely different person."

Who?

Running away to sea won't change who you are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far i am out of luck on the Lotto numbers. It's good to hear the bigger things are related to fishing.

One of the things I picked up from another thread was "no salt below deck"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts