SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a new unknown object with unknown purpose. An alien artifact.

It's a galvanized flat bar, about 3/8" thick, 1" wide and maybe 3 feet long. On one end there's a green vinyl handle. There's a round.. raised tab/peg about 3 or 4" from the end and a hole about the same size near the handle.

It was stored in a place that's easy to reach. The zinc has corroded a bit so I think it's seen some use.

I hope the photo will help. There wasn't much light when I took it so it's not a great picture.

What is for? Anchoring? Moving the rudder by hand?

Thank you.

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
It's obviously a sword. I'm not sure how it made it's way up to BC. But it looks like it could've been made sometime in the 70's. That color green was popular back then. You could probably sell it for big bucks, like $1 or $2. If your feeling real adventurous you could put it on ebay.
Be sure to obtain a "Certificate of Authenticity" (IE: Print one yourself) to make it a true ebay collectable. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Be sure to obtain a "Certificate of Authenticity" (IE: Print one yourself) to make it a true ebay collectable. :D
AlaskaMC, I have a Garmin GPS 75 and also a handheld Uniden VHF radio that takes 9 AA batteries (battery door went missing due to excessive use) that you might like. Get both for the same low price of free. Send PM if interested. Shipping to Alaska $79.99.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
It's actually one half of a dual purpose winch activator/clam gun. You've probably lost the attachment which makes it the most effective bivalve locater ever invented, thereby rendering it near useless for that activity. However as a long time walker of low tide I can call a spade a spade and suggest you see if it still works up at the pointy end.

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
AlaskaMC, I have a Garmin GPS 75 and also a handheld Uniden VHF radio that takes 9 AA batteries (battery door went missing due to excessive use) that you might like. Get both for the same low price of free. Send PM if interested. Shipping to Alaska $79.99.
I can tell you have done business in Alaska before. Same in BC?

This thread feels like the old "Liars Club" game show. One of the best!

And is it odd to find Betty White hot in this show? :eek:

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
I like Bristol299 (he has great taste in boats) but I believe I have the answer.

A friend has a boat from the 50's and on the cockpit sole there is a slot with a cover. The cover is removed and a bar very much like the one pictured is inserted into the slot to control the gearbox.

What do you think?

Ken

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
What do you mean control the gearbox?

Are you saying it is a shifting handle?
Yes. Maybe not from that boat; sometimes gear gets misplaced. I can see it sliding into a squared off strap or milled opening at the end of a control shaft. The little tab would keep it from sliding all the way through.

Or maybe it controls a powered anchor windlass as others have said. Seems like too much steel for that, though.

Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.