SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This:

NMEA Compatible Wi-Fi Wireless Marine Networking by Chetco Digital Instruments

I just want to make sure I'm clear on what it does.

It allows me to view all boat systems(fuel level, location, plotter information) on an ipad or laptop. Not only on the boat, but when you're away. So you can say anchor, go to shore and have dinner, and make sure you're not dragging, because this wifi gateway shows you, through your chart plotter gps, exactly where your boat is. Is that about right?

Are they worth it? Are there any uses that are cool that I might not be thinking of? Does anyone have one or a similar product and like it?

1,409 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so what's the benefit to spending $500 on a seasmart over a wifi enabled plotter.

The description says this, what does it mean? That's why I thought you could see your boats anchor position at town.

The Open Protocol allows for license free viewing of vessel data equal to other helm station displays and is easily shared among other devices. This data can be logged and viewed on vessel based systems or pushed to internet based remote servers for access anywhere in the world

1,409 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That device will allow you to see your boat instruments (like depth or speed) on WiFi devices like your iPad.

If you have a real plotter then you probably don't need this and could sell it. I think there are much more useful ways to spend $500 on a small cruising boat.

What is the full inventory of boat electronics in your boat?
I'll make a list and post it soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.