SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Reaction score
That will only work if you are away and within WiFi range of your boat.

At $500 it is an expensive option. You could also get a WiFi enabled plotter (most made in the last couple of years are) and use the remote app to see what the plotter sees from the shore. On my Raymarine (Garmin and Simrad/B&G have similar features) I can see a perfect representation of what is on the plotter's screen and interact with it from an iOS or Android device over WiFi.

WiFi range is not that far, so your example would work in a quiet anchorage, but would be unlikely to work in someplace like Friday Harbor.

2,309 Posts
Reaction score
If you want to bridge the wifi to a cell phone and have that cell phone upload data to a webserver on a periodic basis then you could access the info from anywhere. This would be a $10-$50/mo cost for the cell service and not a featureset that I'd expect on a 26' boat.

You wouldn't need this device to do that either, you could use the GPS in the cell phone as your anchor alarm (you just wouldn't get other details), using something like this:
Boat Monitor - Remote Boat Monitor and Alarm

You would need two cellular devices, one to leave on the boat and one to carry with you. If you had a 4G iPad (with cellular service) to leave on the boat and a phone in your pocket (also with cellular service) that could work.

2,309 Posts
Reaction score
That device will allow you to see your boat instruments (like depth or speed) on WiFi devices like your iPad.

If you have a real plotter then you probably don't need this and could sell it. I think there are much more useful ways to spend $500 on a small cruising boat.

What is the full inventory of boat electronics in your boat?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.