SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The existing threads here about guitars onboard are getting old and not specific to this question. Sailing and playing guitar go well together. When at anchor, I mean. But hey, if you can play and tack at the same time, let's hear about it.

For an acoustic guitar, I play mostly fingerstyle on a Taylor 812ce. But I'm thinking of getting a Taylor Baby to take on the boat since space is such a premium and I don't want to fret over the guitar getting mistreated or stolen (pun intended).

So this thread is something of a poll:

If you have a guitar onboard, what is it and what style music do you play on the water?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I play classical guitar (Fernando Sor, Tarrega, Issac Ibeniz, etc) so my guitars have a Spanish flavor... here is my Cordoba C7 Cedar/Indian rosewood guitar.... great sound and the guitar I use on the boat.

This guitar is my Garcia 1972 1A which is the same as a Jose Ramirez 1A guitar... same sound, woods, build construction. I use this one for more concert playing since it projects quite loud...

I have 1/2 a dozen more guitars of various grades I've collected including a Modesto Borreguero guitar and a Concert Vincente Tatay guitar from the 1970's... beautiful guitar!

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CloseCall,
Doh! Of course. Don't let its namesake give you a signature on it.

GuitarGuy56,
Very cool. I've been tempted to get a nylon string for my next guitar. For certain styles, nothing else emotes quite like them.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I keep a Martin LXM on-board... Stays in tune, virtually unaffected by high humidity and sounds somewhat decent for a small guitar... Had a Baby Taylor first but it was very thin sounding and it hated the marine environment/high humidity...
What do you play on your Martin...Folk, Blues, Pop, instrumental...? Picture of the guitar would be nice...

·
Registered
830 Posts
My plain vanilla Fender CD-100 (laminate top) resides onboard all season. I picked thru nearly 20 of them 'till I foundthenright one ;). THAT exercise was to have a 6 that "rang" like my 12. Result was a guitar thatt has good resonation and plays well. $179 @discounted sale nprice and I don;lt n need to worry about it.
It ain't all that purty; but, neither am I ;)
I tend to '60s folk/pop w/some ventures into later stuff. CSN+/-Y, Lightfoot, etc.. Even penned our own signature boat ditty; "Piracy" that's quite a bit of fun! ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
What do you play on your Martin...Folk, Blues, Pop, instrumental...? Picture of the guitar would be nice...

I mostly play folk, bluegrass and anything that suits my mood.. I am just a flat picker..

I used to have a really nice collection of acoustic guitars, Martin (D-18GE & 000), Santa Cruz (Tony Rice Pro and an OM (flamed Koa and German Spruce top), Larivee (OM), Collings (slope shoulder D mahogany & German Spruce), but living on the coast was wreaking havoc on them....

I now play a customized Blueridge D-18 style (Mahogany & Adirondack). And a rosewood/Englemann dreadnaught built by a friend who is a Luthier. I also have my LXM for the boat.

The one I really hated to part with was my Martin D-18GE or (Golden Era) pre-war replica but I was doing my nice guitars no justice by keeping them in such a volatile environment.... The D-18GE sounded simply amazing, like it had just popped out of 1935....! The nice thing about nice guitars is I sold every one of them for more than I paid....;)

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Capecodda,
The Blackbird is intriguing. I'd like play one someday. Reminds me of the Parker Fly. It's fun to see innovations like these alonside the enduring classic designs.

Maine Sail,
I'm glad I don't live on the East coast for the sake of my guitars! Around here, the humidity hovers around 50% year round, so I seldom have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Maine Sail... nice guitars you have and had in the past... I wish I could have them all on my boat one day but I can't so the trusty Cordoba does the job and I have with me here in Montreal as I sulk in the winter snow storms... which quite a bit fell down since last night.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
One other interesting thing about the carbon fiber guitar: I cannot remember the last time I had to tune it. Not surprisingly, the darn thing is stable.

For sure, I like the tone of a big bodied Martin, but for a small guitar, the Blackbird has surprisingly good tone. Another local sailor turned me on to them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I play a black Little Martin, due to the size and how space on a boat is at a premium. I just leave it on the boat all season. Also, it's the High Density Plastic version, so my thinking is that it wouldn't be negatively affected by the often high humidity we experience.

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
I'm very self indulgent when it comes to taking an axe sailing. I figure I want the best sound I can get all the time. I don't own any small guitars. The smallest I own is a Martin OM-28. That's a great guitar. My current fav is my giant Gibson JS-200 jumbo flat top. I have never taken it sailing. But I would. It's really not much bigger than my Guild D-50 or my Martin 00-20 so I think I could handle the size. It would frt on the quarter berth. It's very satisfying to play and it was good enough for Elvis so it's fine with me. As for the type of music I play, I'm not sure there is a name for it. I play a sort of combination Andre Segovia/Merle Haggard style.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I hate bringing nice guitars on the boat, so I made one out of Formica. I've shown it here before, but I love it more and more all the time.

I'm actually in the process of building a new one that's a little smaller, because the size is the only thing I don't like about this one.

More info here: Boat Guitar | Sailing Fortuitous

I love the pattern on that, very vintage! I don't play but enjoy listening, so I have been thinking I might want to pick something up to keep on board for those that do play.

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
Very nice looking guitar. Guess it doesn't need a pick guard. What would you compare the sound to?
It sounds like a decent cheap guitar. It's nothing special. But I wind up playing it more than anything because I don't care about keeping it properly cased and humidified and all that. It's just a fun beater guitar.

In my previous post I linked to the page about that guitar on my boat log, and there's an audio sample there.

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,072 Posts
I have an Epiphone Jumbo I keep in a hard case in the vee berth when I have it on the boat.....it spends a few months at a time on the boat and I haven't noticed any problems with it. I'm just learning, but pick away at some tunes from John Prine, Todd Snider, Neil Young, etc.....easy stuff for a beginner.

I've noticed that my neighbors close all their hatches when I bring out the guitar......

1 - 20 of 82 Posts