SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
title says it, what do i need to do to get a port supply card. i have an llc, and could get a state reg business name

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
The requirements and procedures for getting a PS account is posted on the PS web site.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not a scam, just curious. i am a licensed electrician. and i do some work on boats that are not mine.

i did re check the PS site, and i found how to apply. i meet most of whats needed except the total money spent, of which i am about 500 short. i guess i could even cover that but not thru legit means.

i guess i keep using the one i have access to, but not 100 % access like i would like.

i was just hoping

·
I don't discuss my member
2,633 Posts
not a scam...

i meet most of whats needed except the total money spent, of which i am about 500 short.
Of course it's a scam. You don't even meet the most basic condition of qualifying for a Port Supply account, which is being engaged in a marine-related business full-time.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well you are right on the full time part. i did not really think of that part, because when i asked about it the store once they just said "do you have a business working on boats?" i said not a real one but i could. they said come back when i had business, they said nothing about full time.
i have access to one, the charity that i bought my boat from has one and i use it on their boats and mine. i just dont have a card, they just buy what i tell them i need

oh well

·
2,633 Posts
Well, you ain't the only average joe boater who has considered pulling the wool over Port Supply's eyes. Just makes qualifying for and keeping an account that much harder for legitimate marine businesses like mine.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i dont plan on pulling the wool anywhere. if i did more work i would get it, with the exception of full time, which i believe is BS anyway. if i can meet all the specs they call for and only work 10 hours a week that is my choice.

i have a business now, and could expand it to cover boats as well. but at this point i dont do enough to be "legit" there fore i wont

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Well, you ain't the only average joe boater who has considered pulling the wool over Port Supply's eyes. Just makes qualifying for and keeping an account that much harder for legitimate marine businesses like mine.
With respect, if you are a legitimate business you should have no trouble "qualifying for and keeping an account". The parameters for this appear to be clearly defined and if you comply, you comply. This is not taken away from you by someone else trying to score a discount.

Keeping a first class vessel is an expensive business and any "help" I can get to save some of the expense I will use, provided it doesn't include stealing.

The reality is that suppliers who have a two-tiered pricing structure (one for the trade and another for the suckers :mad: ) are selling to the "legitimate" tradesmen at a price that leaves both buyer and supplier profitable and then they make some REAL cream by shafting the non-trade customers like Scotty and I (and most other Sailnetters).

I'll bet that when you buy stuff for your own boat you don't offer to pay the retail price for it. Right?? So please save us the sanctimonious lesson.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
This is why West Marine gets as little of my business as is humanly possible. :)

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I don't think you understand what a wholesale account is all about! It's about volume for the retailer not about discounts for the costumer's. On the wholesale side the discounts come from the manufacturer's and passed down based on volume.

I will use a example. I was in a west marine store last fall to buy anti-freeze when it was on sale for 3.99 a gallon so I bought a case, 6 gallons. The guy behind me had 2 gallons in his hand. (I know the guy he's a part time charter fisherman when the striped bass are running) He showed his port supply card and the price rang up at 3.79 a gallon. He complained that was not enough of a discount because of all the money he spent with west marine. The store guy said let me see what I can do and went to the computer and said "Bill" you have spent less than $300 with us this year. Up on hearing that I asked for my discount as I spent much more then that over the year.

While all of this was going on the owner of Marine maintenance Co. came in to the store. He asked the store guy what is my price on winter anti-freeze this year. When the store guy told him, I was thinking what the hell I just paid $3.99. But then he said OK, I need 8 pallets. I asked, there are 240 gallons to a pallet.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
How many years would it take you to go through EIGHT pallets of anti-freeze???

BTW, my real objection to WM is more that their "retail" prices are often above the manufacturer's retail prices.

While all of this was going on the owner of Marine maintenance Co. came in to the store. He asked the store guy what is my price on winter anti-freeze this year. When the store guy told him, I was thinking what the hell I just paid $3.99. But then he said OK, I need 8 pallets. I asked, there are 240 gallons to a pallet.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
How many years would it take you to go through EIGHT pallets of anti-freeze???

BTW, my real objection to WM is more that their "retail" prices are often above the manufacturer's retail prices.

Dog, the guy goes to different boat yards to shrink wrap and winterize boats for his costumers. In the summers he does light mechanical work, sort of like a boat handy man. He has a good business going for him. The best thing about him is shows up when he says he will.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Now, that is kind of rare in the marine trades... he actually shows up when he says he will... probably on-time too... Yeah, if he's halfway competent, the fact that he actually shows up will make him quite successful.

Dog, the guy goes to different boat yards to shrink wrap and winterize boats for his costumers. In the summers he does light mechanical work, sort of like a boat handy man. He has a good business going for him. The best thing about him is shows up when he says he will.

·
2,633 Posts
I'll bet that when you buy stuff for your own boat you don't offer to pay the retail price for it. Right?? So please save us the sanctimonious lesson.
I don't own a pleasure boat (but I do own three work boats), so please save us your misguided and erroneous attempts at painting me as the bad guy.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Fstbttms, welcome to my world. Being the owner of a auto repair shop, EVERYONE gets the same deal on parts that I do. At least your average customer doesn't get that privilege.

If this guy wants to get a PS account, and PS wants to give him an account, then so be it. It looks like PS keeps track of spending and adjusts pricing accordingly, so I don't think he'll get much of a deal. If they were really serious about accounts being for "full time marine business" then the purchasing requirement would be $1500 a month, not per year.

·
2,633 Posts
If they were really serious about accounts being for "full time marine business" then the purchasing requirement would be $1500 a month, not per year.
Well, you make a good point, except that many marine businesses (mine included) don't buy any where near that much stuff wholesale. My wholesale purchases are primarily zincs (which I do not buy from Port Supply) and holding tank treatment for the pumpout service I own, which I do buy from Port Supply. My guess is that other marine businesses (boat washers, brightwork people etc.) who are doing it full-time also do not have to buy a lot of inventory or big ticket items.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I think Fstbttms is right... unless you're primarily doing installations or commissioning boats, most marine business are more service rather than product related, and the amount of products they order are relatively minimal. A friend of mine does boat detailing, and he does a lot of business, but the materials he'd have to buy from West Marine, that he can't get anywhere else at a better price, are rather minor—yet he has a Port Supply account.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
I think Fstbttms is right... unless you're primarily doing installations or commissioning boats, most marine business are more service rather than product related, and the amount of products they order are relatively minimal. A friend of mine does boat detailing, and he does a lot of business, but the materials he'd have to buy from West Marine, that he can't get anywhere else at a better price, are rather minor—yet he has a Port Supply account.
I guess I don't see what the big problem is. If PS thinks he qualifies for a card, then so be it. Fstbttms has a legitimate marine business, but it doesn't sound like he buys much from PS in the course of his normal business. PS is in the business of selling parts and supplies. Why would they care whether they sell a detailer 2K per year or someone else 2K per year? It sounds like they have tiered pricing based on volume anyway so it's unlikely that anyone we've been talking about is getting much of a discount.

Maybe I'm just desensitized to it all. In my business, I've seen some items that the over-the-counter sale may be slightly less than what I get them for. The average joe may be making his only purchase for the year, while I buy 10K a month from the same supplier. I don't like it, but that's how it is. The real irritation comes when they call and want advice on how to install that part, or troubleshooting after the part they installed doesn't fix it, or best of all how much to charge their neighbor for installing it. Now THAT'S something to complain about.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discounts like this happen in all trades. I'm in the landscape biz. On of the local higher priced retail establishments would give folks with state nursery license a 25% doscount. Folks figured out that if you have a biz license, you could for $25 a yr add a Nursery license to the main license. So many folks did that, the ONLY nursery/plant products they bought were for there own house. This soon ended, even though some of us were legit buying things wholesale for retail resale. NOW< in order to buy from them, you have to fill out the equal of a credit report, saying whom you buy from in the trade, they then call to verify you buy products from those other three vendors etc. in order to get the wholesale discount.

Some of the folks I buy from ,give you 1-10% off the wholesale price based on $$ total purchase the year before. Some years depending upon what I buy, I do really well, others, nothing!

I was offered a PS card from local WM, I declined it. Frankly, it appears that the OP has a right to buy wholesale from WM for items when he works on boats. For himself, sorry, that right should not be there per say, although many of us will use our discounts upon occasion for our own use. In my state, being as we only have a sales tax not a income for items, I do make sure I pay the sales/use tax if I buy things without tax, otherwise, it could hurt more than the saving by many $$$$.

Marty

1 - 20 of 30 Posts